PDA

View Full Version : week eight.

week eight.

xerxes
02-25-2008, 07:06 PM
okay so this is the beginning of week eight of no eating for xerxes. i'm going try feed him a live one tonight, but if he doesn't take it i think i'm going kill the mouse and offer him that. (hopefully a non moving mouse will be more appetizing, idk) so I've got a few questions:

1)would a dead mouse possibly be more appetizing?

2)what is the best/easiest/most efficient way to kill a mouse?

3)if he doesn't eat the dead mouse, could i possibly freeze the mouse until next time?

patm1313
02-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I coulde be more appetizing, it depends on Xerxes.

Most effecient way of killing mice on a large scale: C02, one mouse and baby mice: take a screwdriver and press it into the mouse's neck whil pulling the tail.

As long as it wasnt already frozen, yes. Never re-freeze mice.

Ollie218
02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
How did the live feeding go?

xerxes
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
havent tried yet, got too buisy to. i'm now planning on trying tonight after school. i'll post an update tonite probably.

Nanci
02-27-2008, 10:19 AM
So what's he like, aside from not eating? Normal? Does he appear sick or depressed in any way? I might try what Ryan suggested- put him in the feeding container with a fresh-killed, cover it up, leave him alone and don't peek or disturb all night. If you can't kill the mouse, usually a reptile store will do it for you.

I freaked out the first year my males pulled this- but last year I didn't worry much at all.

Jcapicy
02-27-2008, 11:09 AM
try stunning before killed. I know this ounds heartless, and is rarely a good forum topic but hold the mouse up by its tail and flick it or hit it swift and hard in the top of the head like a punching bag. If done successfully the mouse will be rendered unconcious and still breathing.

patm1313
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
That's harsh, but it might be helpful.

MegF.
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Is this an adult male? If he's gone off food for the season he might not eat for another month or so. Just offer every two weeks or so and don't worry. He'll start up when he feels like it. My one male went off every year for 3 months at a time from the time he was 18 months old.

xerxes
02-27-2008, 10:01 PM
he's five years old. about five feet long. no clue how much he weighs.

MegF.
02-28-2008, 05:15 AM
It's just a male off feed. I'd offer evey two weeks, and one of these days-BOOM-he'll grab that sucker and be eating again. They do just fine unless the weight loss is excessive. My boy would lose around 50 grams but he was a 700 gram animal so wasn't in any type of trouble when he'd quit eating. As far as I know...he still is going off food every year even though he's now a classroom snake and by himself in the room.