PDA

View Full Version : Flash with a Canon AT-1

Flash with a Canon AT-1

funnynonsense
02-28-2008, 02:20 AM
Hi guys -

Last year i got myself an old Canon AT-1. Its an old film camera - great for learning about photography because its all manual, so you're forced to learn about exposure and shutter speed.

The problem is I have only taken photos with it when light permitted - I am thinking about getting a flash - but have no idea how I'd go about using it.

I mean F-stops and shutter speeds in the dark? I have no idea where to start.lol

I have seen a few tables - but they look like Chinese to me.

Maybe I should just get some cheap film and experiment - but hopefully someone can give me some tips.

Thanks guys :)

The Nothing
02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
been a LONG time since I've seen an AT-1. Not many were sold in the US.

Yes, charts can be confusing, and they do take some time to learn. What they're trying to suggest is how to setup the camera. First, you need to know what your film speed is. More often than not you'll likely be using ASA/ISO 400 film. Its the most all-around film for indoor and outdoor use.

Knowing that you'll be shooting ISO400, you have to see how far away from your subject you are. Look at that on your chart (not exactly sure? focus on your subject and look at the lens - it should show you roughly how far away you are). Look up the distance on the chart and set your aperture to the the recommended f/stop. I'd suggest taking 3 shots till you get things figured out. Start with the suggested f/stop, then dial it down one more f/stop, then dial it up to one stop above the recommended. This will give you 3 pictures - one over exposed, one under exposed, and one set to what the flash suggested. You might find that one of the over or under exposed pics looks better than what was recommended.

Manual has a huge learning curve, since you don't get immediate results. But with plenty of good practices you can easily be turning out some awesome shots.

For what its worth, I shoot manual on my dSLR about half the time. If I'm not shooting manual, then I'm shooting in Aperature priority so the camera adjusts shutter speed to the f/stop I desire. Its the easy way to always keep good depth of field.

funnynonsense
02-29-2008, 01:36 AM
hey thanks Isaac -
So this what I'll do - Just gonna get a film - take the three shots as suggested by you - Then move the tripod back a meter and do it again - so I'll have a full film of just pictures of an apple or something.lol

Ill write down the settings and distance for each shot also.

I actually like the manual side of things - I think I'll benifit in the long run. But If I find an A-1 body in good condition I'll be forced to get that :D lol

Thanks again

The Nothing
02-29-2008, 11:12 AM
brilliant idea - especially with keeping notes.

Wouldn't rush out and pick up yet another A-body though. They're all pretty much the same...

Check out this site: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/index.htm
The AL-1 is what I started with, and I still have it along with an autowinder (you'd love one of these) and a collection of lenses (50mm, 85mm, and two different 70-210mm)

It still comes out from time to time, especially outdoors.

funnynonsense
03-06-2008, 05:22 AM
well -
I was about to start this exercise - finished my old film on some random things - put in the new film - took two photos and the shutter is now jammed - sigh.

kinda disappointing - gonna have to see if its worth repairing, thanks for your help Isaac - pity I couldn't get to do anything :(