PDA

View Full Version : normal???

normal???

Corny Bandit
02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone! My son is a new corn snake owner. I've been reading all the information on this discussion forum since we brought Bandit home last week. You all are more helpful than Petco!! I know, I know, probably wasn't the best place to purchase our new pet. We sure love Bandit though!!! My question...He ate his first pinky for us yesterday and ever since he has been curled up under his hide (32 hours now). Is that normal?

MerlinsPop
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
You all are more helpful than Petco!!
Ummm... like saying Nome Alaska is slightly cooler than Las Vegas in August! :dancer:
My question...He ate his first pinky for us yesterday and ever since he has been curled up under his hide (32 hours now). Is that normal?

Yep, normal as can be. It'll take a little one 48+ hours to digest. Keep an eye on Bandit but don't pull him out till he starts searching for his escape route again.

v_various
02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
very normal. Merlinspop has the right idea, 48 hours of leaving him alone is what needs after every meal.

And you usually want to just let them be 3 or 5 days after taking them home, they need time to adjust and calm down (if they are stressed, they may regurge which is bad news).

patm1313
02-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah, this is actually good! It means he feels secure in his hide, which is what he needs. He will almost always stay hidden and still after eating for atleast a day because he needs to digest. But like said above, don't mess around with him for atleast 48 hours as he could regurgitate (vomit up) his food.

And it's really cool that you went out and bought a corn with your son, I'm sure he's really proud to have a snake and is extremely happy. I'm 13 and I had to beg my mother over and over for a corn snake, until I finally got one last Christmas. I ended up teaching her everything about corn snakes to convince her that it was the right pet for me.

Oh, and BTW, the best thing to do is to go out and buy a corn snake book. I recommend these two, which I was so interested in that I read it cover to cover:

Corn Snakes the Comprehensive Owner's Guide by Bill and Kathy Love (Prominent corn snake breeders [cornutopia.com])

Corn Snakes in Captivity by Don Soderburg (Prominent corn snake breeder, owns South Mountain Reptiles [cornsnake.net])

If you ever want to get another corn, my recommendation is South Mountain Reptiles (A.K.A. "Cornsnake.net").

Hope I Helped!

Corny Bandit
02-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone! The corn snake book I bought at Petco was of little help...mentioned all the problems (good to know) but not what is normal. I appreciate the recommended Corn snake book titles. Already been to ebay. Wait at least 2 days after feeding to hold, got it! I've got to tell you all though it is hard to let him just be, but know it is what he needs. He is so darn cute. He digs holes in his substrate, pokes his head out of one spot and the tip of his tail out another. But I am sure you all already know corn snake behavior. We are just getting the biggest kick out of him. Thanks again!

patm1313
02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Your welcome. I love answering on this forum because I was never helped out by this stuff. I had yahoo answers (so unrealiable) and some cruddy online care sheets.