PDA

View Full Version : hiding snake..sick?

hiding snake..sick?

itzchaboiwesley
03-01-2008, 01:33 AM
ok well i got my pet snake on just last sat. since then he has been hiding and the first and second day he would come out and wonder around. i fed her on that monday and she took the pinkie and kept it down. she was hiding for the 48hrs and a day. which i know its ok because they like to hiding after they heat for the 48 hrs. so then i decided to handled with her like on thrus for like 10 mins and put her back in. since then i havent seen her come out at night or anything. is she maybe sick or something?

itzchaboiwesley
03-01-2008, 01:36 AM
had some typos and waht not read this one!

ok well i got my pet snake on just last sat. the first and second day she would come out and wonder around. i fed her on that monday and she took the pinkie and kept it down. she was hiding for the 48hrs and a day. which i know its ok because they like to hiding after they eat for the 48 hrs. so then i decided to handled with her like on thrus for like 10 mins and put her back in. since then i havent seen her come out at night or anything. is she maybe sick or something?

draco_0420
03-01-2008, 01:43 AM
I don't thinks she's sick. A lot of the time, when they're little, they stay hidden even in the nighttime. The reason for that is, I think, that it's a natural defense mechanism as they are the natural prey of larger birds and such. When she gets hungry, she'll probably come out.

itzchaboiwesley
03-01-2008, 01:52 AM
i guess that can be a possibility but i hope she not sick!

draco_0420
03-01-2008, 02:06 AM
It may be a good idea to take her to a vet anyways....just for a checkup you know.

bitsy
03-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Sounds like perfectly normal behaviour to me, especially as you've only had her a week.

A newly-arrived snake can take weeks to settle in, and will spend most of that time hiding. She might get more adventurous as she gets used to the new sights and smells around her.

Having said that, I own a couple of adults that I don't see from one end of the week to the next - and only then because I take them out for feeding and cleaning.

Unless you're staying up watching her tank all night, my bet is that yours is waiting for "the big pink scary thing" to go away, before venturing out! She'll get used to you - patience is the key at this stage.

I seriously doubt that a vet visit is necessary unless you have other indications of trouble apart from just the hiding. If she's eating and keeping it down, then she's most likely to be fine.

Ohana
03-01-2008, 08:04 AM
I agree with Bitsy. Just give her some time to settle in. I have had my new one since November '07 and it took her a little while to settle in. Actually just this month we started seeing her out and about.

itzchaboiwesley
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
lol thanks for the advise and info! i guess im just being pareniod and what not lol! thanks again!

kathylove
03-01-2008, 01:07 PM
That's what they do in the wild, too - hide! If not, they would never get the chance to grow up and reproduce. My guess is that the more you leave her alone (for the first few weeks, anyway), the sooner she will start to feel comfortable in her surroundings. Remember, you are a gigantic predator about to eat her, as far as she is concerned.

If she is eating and not regurging, and generally looks healthy, there is unlikely to be a health problem, although anything is possible, of course.

patm1313
03-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Well, that's what corn snakes are like. They hide away almost all day and come out at night. As they grow older they may get a new sense of confidence and come out more during the day.

itzchaboiwesley
03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Isee thanks for everyone who commented on this topic n there advice!

itzchaboiwesley
03-02-2008, 12:02 AM
did second feed tonight and a success! but man when i held the pinkie with the feeding tong in front of her just messgin with her leading her on to eat it she strike like 4 times fast and quick and it actually kind of startle me! lol

MegF.
03-02-2008, 09:29 PM
If she's eating enthusiastically, I'd lay money she's just fine. Some of them get stressed after handling and will hide for a while. I wouldn't worry about it. If hiding were an indication of illness...half my cornsnakes would be dead!

Cam5
03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
It is amazing how fast they can take cover too...
I have tried to sneak up on them at night and as soon as I peek around the corner all I see is tail slipping into one of the hides or diving into the Aspen...now of course we also have the Charcoal Hypo boy who comes out when we enter the room...they are all soooo different:)

I look forward to pictures:)

patm1313
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I know! My corn can go under the aspen like I can dive into a pool!

itzchaboiwesley
03-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Ya I'm not too worried anymore she only been with me for a wk so ima give it some time soon enough she be out n about

patm1313
03-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Cool, I've heard that as they get older, they gain more confidence, and they tend to come out more often.