PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Needs some help.

Kurt Needs some help.

Metal_luke666
03-02-2008, 10:04 AM
My pet python kurt is refusing to feed. I have tried everything, increasing his temperature, increasing the humidity slightly, braining the mice, offering different sizes, dangling it so it looks alive, leaving it overnight.
You name it, i have tried it.

Now i was wondering two things, firstly could it just be the time of year, because i know it is fairly normal for them not to eat around about now.
And if he continues refusing to eat to an extent at which it gets dangerous, should i feed live rodents? I know the consequences and didn't really want to resort to live food because the python could get injured.

Any help wuld be greatly appreciated. (BTW, he hasn't fed for a month and a half and is about 9 months - a year old)

Luke

Here is kurt for you all to see.

Susielea
03-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry I don't know too much about Python behaviour etc, but this should really have been put in the General chit chat sub-forum, as it is not about corn snakes. Maybe you could ask a moderator to move it, and you may get better replies in that sub-forum as well.

Just a thought?

Metal_luke666
03-02-2008, 10:52 AM
ok, thanks.
Do i just email one of the moderators?

Susielea
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Try giving one of them a PM (private message) that should do it.

Best wishes, hope you get things sorted!

Tula_Montage
03-02-2008, 11:12 AM
He looks nice and fat to me so I wouldn't worry about him at all for the next 2-3 months anyway. Royals do stop feeding for long periods of time, It's in their nature and that is why they are built they way they are.

However a few things that can fast track him on the way to eating again:

Set his temperatures slightly higher... 95 is ideal
Boil the head of the prey and make it piping hot, pythons don't have huge heat sensing pits for nothing.
Try him on various prey items, I have found that some royals prefer mice and some prfer rats and they can change their minds overnight LOL

insomniac101
03-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Luke,

What kind of python is he? Is he in shed? I keep carpet pythons, and sometimes breeding-age males will go off feed during the winter. Yours is a little young, so I'm not sure what would be causing his hunger strike. Six weeks is nothing to worry about as long as he is hydrated, and a healthy weight. They can go a long time without eating, and I don't start to worry about it until at least 3 months.

You may have to "jump-start" him with live. I've had to do this occasionally with pythons and ratsnakes. I've had no problems getting them to take f/t after that one live meal. If you do have to resort to feeding live, I would suggest getting a smaller-sized feeder rodent than you would normally use if feeding f/t to lessen the chance of injury to Kurt.

Good luck!

Kathy

insomniac101
03-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Oops; for some reason I was unable to view the photos before, but they appeared after I posted. I think I'm having issues with my computer.

Kathy

Metal_luke666
03-02-2008, 01:42 PM
well he is a ball python, hes still a healthy weight but i was just concerned it was a little long for a young python to go with no food.
And his temperatures is set at 92 and the humidity is always just above 50%
Sometimes nearer 60% straight after misting.

Well thanks all for your advice, and i will post again when i get him to eat.