PDA

View Full Version : Hm, Refused food and REALLY lively....

Hm, Refused food and REALLY lively....

Jazzik
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
From what Ive been reading this is normal behaviour for a male (I think hes male) in this time of year but ive never seen him so crazy.. almost like hes trying to escape. For a normally quiet snake its nice to see but I am concerned that its normal behaviour.

Hes also refused has last 2 meals, I feed him one large mouse once every 7 days - 10 days. Im not sure if this is enough having read a few pieces on here hes fully grown (9years old I think), could this be what normally makes him very quiet?

Anything anyone can tell me to put my mind at rest would be nice. I must admit though its really nice to see him being lively, wish he was like this all the time.

Jazzik.

Jazzik
03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
A side note, how long should I leave it after he has refused his meal? The common trend seems to be 3 days.

Corny Noob
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
If my snakes refuse a meal I wait untill their next scheduled feeding day.
But regardless of sex for a full grown snake to go off feed that long wouldn't be detrimental to the snake's health.
Unless you're 100% the snake is a male it could also be an ovulating female on the look out for a place to lay eggs.

Jazzik
03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Not 100% sure, but I was told by the original owner that was the case.

SteffieKent
03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
my snake is female according to previous owners yet is incredibly hyper. always at the front of the viv where she knows the doors open like she wants to get out. the top of her mead seems a tiny bit mily but eyes are clear and her colour is still quite bright. ive had her 3 weeks and shes still not eaten! any tips how i could get her to eat?:confused:

TWGarland
03-13-2008, 11:49 AM
For a male to go off food, and to be more lively, cruising the viv more than usual are all common during the breeding season. Don't worry about it. Many males go on fasts, some that can last months, during this period as they have better things to think about (getting it on) ;)

SteffieKent
03-13-2008, 11:52 AM
but shes supposedly female! ? :s

diamondlil
03-13-2008, 11:53 AM
my snake is female according to previous owners yet is incredibly hyper. always at the front of the viv where she knows the doors open like she wants to get out. the top of her mead seems a tiny bit mily but eyes are clear and her colour is still quite bright. ive had her 3 weeks and shes still not eaten! any tips how i could get her to eat?:confused:
It's usually better to start your own thread, you'll get answers specifically for you.
Check and recheck your temperatures, using a digital thermometer. Then check through the FAQs on problem feeders, there are lots of good tips there. You could also ask the previous owner how they fed the snake.

suecornish
03-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Smokey hasn't eaten since 01/14 and cruises his tank all the time. He is close to 10 years old and 485 grams so I'm not worried. He's got the weight on him. Sometimes they know what the season is and try to get geared up for mating; which is what I think Smokey is doing.

SteffieKent
03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
It's usually better to start your own thread, you'll get answers specifically for you.
Check and recheck your temperatures, using a digital thermometer. Then check through the FAQs on problem feeders, there are lots of good tips there. You could also ask the previous owner how they fed the snake.

okies! will do! thanks! previous owner is not in australia and not answered email :(

SteffieKent
03-13-2008, 12:40 PM
is now in australia**