PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and worried.....

I'm new and worried.....

jlulu
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey everyone!
Ok so i am kinda freaked out! The primary care giver for our semi-new corn snake is out of town so i have been trying to fill in the best i can but i kinda freaked out today. I went into her cage to take it out and i could tell she was scared and she was very hard to catch. When i finally picked her up, she bit me. I freaked!!!! So i dropped her....not a long drop but just over a blanket. She was ok but when i finally grabbed her again i kinda quickly put her back in the cage. I get too nervous sometimes! All i wanted to do was hold her so she could get used to us better.

How hard is it going to be for us to build a bond with her now??

She is pretty young (i dont know the exact but i know its less than 6 months) and not held that often so i wanted to try a little harder to pick her up more often.

What can i do???

I want to try to glove thing but i really dont want to scare the crap out of her!

Thanks!!!:confused:

djfreebase
03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Well now you know what it's like to get bite from a small corn snake, its more of a shock than anything else. Yes you could try wearing gloves if you feel uncomfortable handling the snake, but in futher if he does bite dont put him back into the viv. Other wise he will learn to bite, knowing you will leave him alone. Try placing a small item of your clothing into he viv. this will help him become more familiar with your sent. And remember that he is much more scared of you than you of him.

Susielea
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Ok take a deep breath, let it out slowly and relax.

Now, don't feel bad! You're not used to handling her, she's not used to being handled by you, but that's ok. She is probably even more scared of you, than you are of her...lol

Go ahead and use gloves, if you think it will help your confidence and start by handling her over or in the tank, just for a couple of minutes each day, but not for at least 48 hours after a feed. They need piece and quiet and to be left alone to digest.

I don't think this one mishap is going to permanently remain in her memory, with time and patience you should have no trouble "bonding" with her.

Hope this helps some, good luck and best wishes,

draco_0420
03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I have to agree with susie and freebase.....it's ok really. Give it time and patience. And if wearing gloves will help your confidence, then go for it. Good luck with her

jlulu
03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Great! I do have to get used to handling her and gloves would definitely make me feel more comfortable and she will get used to my scent.

Thanks for your help everyone!!