PDA

View Full Version : Constricting

Constricting

paullfc
03-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Not really a 'problem' but my corn never ever ever constritcs is there a way to do this or is it not neccesary for my corn to do this??

jiva
03-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Im not really an expert on this, but it seems to me it is just something that some corns do and some don't. I have two corns and one constricts every time and one has never constricted. I feed them bot the same way. Its not really necessary, but it is fun to watch.

SnakesRule1234
03-08-2008, 03:21 PM
If you feed live the non-constricting could be a problem, but this is mostly with larger mice.
If you feed f/t then it's ok.

Pasodama
03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Constricting can be an added "exercise", for muscle tone, but ... it is not a necessity.
Especially if you are feeding f/t or p/k.

Some, of mine, constrict and others do not. No harm either way.

As far as getting them to constrict, most times a non-constricting snake will constrict if you feed it live (or what it believes to be live). Although, some, still, may not. Either way ... IMO Not worth doing if you have a f/t eating snake and, as stated above, constricting is not an absolute necessity (unless there is a need for subduing, &/or killing, live prey).

cornlover221
03-08-2008, 03:34 PM
i posted this same topic not to long ago and this is what roy munson said to me....

If the corn snake doesn't consider the prey item to be a threat or in imminent danger of escaping, it usually won't waste energy constricting. An adult corn that has always been fed f/t without constricting will definitely constrict a live adult mouse if one is is offered, if it isn't intimidated by the prey item.

Flagg
03-08-2008, 03:43 PM
You can usually get them to constrict, even with F/T, if you do the "zombie mouse dance" with a warm prey item and trick them into thinking it's alive.

Nanci
03-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Mine almost never constrict, but Cherry grabbed her mouse and constricted it today. Then she looked around like "Hey, I've got this snake stuck to my belly- now what do I do???"

fishykid
03-08-2008, 11:41 PM
my Amel usually with bite and constrict a little and then proceed to swallow. My ghost on the other hand bites and starts swallowing immediately. I have noticed that when my ghost gets bigger means he will do the constricting thing.

Monger
03-16-2008, 02:40 AM
You can usually get them to constrict, even with F/T, if you do the "zombie mouse dance" with a warm prey item and trick them into thinking it's alive.

Haha, that's exactly how I got my corn to constrict the first time. 'Zombie mouse dance' I like that. :rofl:

connord94
03-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Mine almost never constrict, but Cherry grabbed her mouse and constricted it today. Then she looked around like "Hey, I've got this snake stuck to my belly- now what do I do???"

LOL, I take it cherry is a king snake then?

And FishyKid,
The age/size of a snake does not determine whether a snake will constrict or not.

And please, would It kill you to re-read your posts to see if they make sense? If you are dyslexic or not a native English speaker, then I'm sorry.

Connor

Keeper-Of-Cornsnakes
03-16-2008, 09:49 PM
When I was breeding my own mice the Corns most of the time constricted, now I feed whit Frozen and there is nothing.

fishykid
03-17-2008, 09:15 PM
LOL, I take it cherry is a king snake then?

And FishyKid,
The age/size of a snake does not determine whether a snake will constrict or not.

And please, would It kill you to re-read your posts to see if they make sense? If you are dyslexic or not a native English speaker, then I'm sorry.

Connor

Native speaker or not, there is no reason to point out someone's flaws.

What I did mean to say was my Ghost would usually constrict the prey if it was larger or more active than what it's used too.

Weebonilass
03-17-2008, 10:38 PM

Hasn't worked with my four so far... Kieran, my big male, won't touch it while I'm touching it... he takes his time eating his meals. What a gentleman he is :)

Lennycorn
03-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Well with my two snakes, their behavior has change through the years. First no constricting, then just one constricted then both.:shrugs: And now my butter who is in shed cycle refused food. So their "behavior" changes from time to time.

Weebonilass
03-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Well with my two snakes, their behavior has change through the years. First no constricting, then just one constricted then both.:shrugs: And now my butter who is in shed cycle refused food. So their "behavior" changes from time to time.

They may change or they may not... the biggest change for Kieran is that after 6 years I no longer have to cover his feeding cage and turn out the lights in the room. But he's never constricted and I expect after all this time, he won't waste the energy :)

miara20
03-18-2008, 01:26 AM
The only time my corn ever restricted was like a month ago. I put the first one in her tank and she ate it just fine usually she will back up when I go to put the second one in but that time I guess cause she was hungry or impatient one of the two or maybe cause I had it by the tail and it was moving a lil. She reached up and snatched it out of my hand and then contricted it. It of course was a F/t mouse. All I could do was step back and say thats my girl. lol

Flagg
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Hasn't worked with my four so far... Kieran, my big male, won't touch it while I'm touching it... he takes his time eating his meals. What a gentleman he is :)

You need to use tongs or long tweezers, not just your hand. That could be dangerous. :eek:

The FT also needs to be quite warm. It never worked for me at first, I think it just takes practice to figure out what kind of movements to use. Some snakes will attack right away, like my female BP. Others sort of hover around and move in slowly if they are interested. It's easy to scare them off if you are too aggressive or get too close.

Weebonilass
03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
You need to use tongs or long tweezers, not just your hand. That could be dangerous. :eek:

The FT also needs to be quite warm. It never worked for me at first, I think it just takes practice to figure out what kind of movements to use. Some snakes will attack right away, like my female BP. Others sort of hover around and move in slowly if they are interested. It's easy to scare them off if you are too aggressive or get too close.

He gets a small rat, my hand really isn't any where near him. He shows interested in his food (which is warm btw), but he won't touch it while I'm touching it. But then again, this is the guy who for the first three years of his life required the lights to be turned off and you leaving the room before he'd feed and that was a step up from the turning the lights off, covering the cage and leaving the room before he'd eat his first year of life :)