PDA

View Full Version : Bloating?

Bloating?

AuralayKristine
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I fed Kaven three days ago, and was handling him for the first time tonight, and noticed he seemed a little...well, bloated is the best word I can think of; like his lower abdomen was just...full. I wish I had a camera, but lacking that, the best way I can describe it is to say there's a noticeable and abrupt change in the width of his tail as it tapers near his bowel. He also seemed anxious if I tried to touch, though that might just be because I was heading for the sensitive, exposed tail end of his body, I'm not sure.

I did have an issue with his last feeding--the night of the feed, I inadvertently left a window in my room cracked, and his viv temp got down to 73. I corrected this as soon as I noticed it when I was checking his temp the next morning, but he probably spent a good 6 or 7 hours in a tank with that temp. I was initially worried about regurgitation, but he does not seem to have done so; I have searched his tank and found no evidence of any expelled meals.

Could he be experiencing some uncomfortable gas problems, or constipation? I haven't noticed a bowel movement yet, but as he only ate three days ago that in and of itself isn't particularly alarming. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is there anything I can do for him, or does it simply need to...well, pass?

Thanks for any advice!!

patm1313
03-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Please dont take my word for it, as you should listen to people with more experience, but I'm thinking that he's impacted, or that he is bloated because of the size of prey.

Impaction (constipation): Well, it seems almost simple. The food is stuck in him. This could be do to ingesting of foreign materials (ie. substrate) or something else. You may want to consider more experienced help with this.

Size of Prey: If a prey item is too large, it will rot before the snake is able to fully ingest it, which might cause constipation, or regurgitation.

If you had a heat mat going and the temp. dropped fo a few hours, then I'm not surprised that he kept the meal down.

Also, my bets are on impaction. I think that the normal time to see a lump is about 24 hours, and you said it was there for 3 days.

AuralayKristine
03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Also, my bets are on impaction. I think that the normal time to see a lump is about 24 hours, and you said it was there for 3 days.

It's not a lump in his abdomen--it's as though his GI tract is bloated. I really wish I could take a picture, but it really looks like...well, gas.

I'll keep impaction in mind, but the prey was no larger than usual and might've even been a little smaller, and I observed the feeding and he ingested no substrate. It honestly might just be nothing--I'm a wee paranoid--but I thought I'd see if anyone had suggestions.

I'm keeping a close watch on him either way. Thanks for the tip!

Susielea
03-08-2008, 11:25 PM
From what you're describing, it sounds to me like he's just getting close to passing a toilet.

I notice this more with young ones as it's easier to see the food moving down their "gut" for want of a better word, before passing out of the body.

I'm guessing that once he's passed toilet, his shape will return to what's normal for him. So keep an eye out for poop and if he doesn't return to his normal shape afterwards, then come back and let us know.

I'm sure he'll be fine, best wishes,

AuralayKristine
03-08-2008, 11:35 PM
From what you're describing, it sounds to me like he's just getting close to passing a toilet.

I notice this more with young ones as it's easier to see the food moving down their "gut" for want of a better word, before passing out of the body.

I'm guessing that once he's passed toilet, his shape will return to what's normal for him. So keep an eye out for poop and if he doesn't return to his normal shape afterwards, then come back and let us know.

That's what I was hoping to hear! I wanted to make sure. Thanks very much! As I told my friend who recommended this site--I'd rather ask when it's nothing than let something potentially important slide. And folk are awfully patient here, which is a very good thing for me, as I'll likely be watching his every move for the first year or two I own him and going, "What's that?! What's it mean?!?"

LoL Thank you again!

patm1313
03-09-2008, 10:21 AM

I never would have thought of that, but it makes sense now. Has anyone ever heard of gas in corns? I know about bloating, but I don't think corn snakes go out to their local mexican place and have gas... I don't think they fart of burp either, at least to my knowledge.

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I never would have thought of that, but it makes sense now. Has anyone ever heard of gas in corns? I know about bloating, but I don't think corn snakes go out to their local mexican place and have gas... I don't think they fart of burp either, at least to my knowledge.

All creatures produce gas as a natural by-product of digestion, and it must be expelled from the body somehow. It's a misnomer that only foods like beans and other high-fiber items create gas. It's true those tend to create more, but all foods create some as they're broken down. And while I'm sure corns don't sit there and fart audibly, they pass digestive by-product gases like everyone else.

Everybody farts! ;)

patm1313
03-09-2008, 11:14 AM
What about seagulls? Lol. I figured that corns did make gas, but I never thought of them letting it out.

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 12:19 PM
What about seagulls? Lol. I figured that corns did make gas, but I never thought of them letting it out.

Mammals, birds, reptiles--even fish! About the only creatures who don't are those that lack an anus, so sponges and cnidaria (jellyfish, corals, anemonies, etc.) and a few other oddball exceptions in the weird wide world of animals. :)

More than you ever wanted to know, right? XD

Bobo's Mama
03-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I have actually HEARD my cornsnakes pass gas when they poop. And it sounds pretty much like any other fart, although it sounded kind of bubbly since they were pooping at the same time.

patm1313
03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Mammals, birds, reptiles--even fish! About the only creatures who don't are those that lack an anus, so sponges and cnidaria (jellyfish, corals, anemonies, etc.) and a few other oddball exceptions in the weird wide world of animals. :)

More than you ever wanted to know, right? XD

Yah, way to much info. But it is sort of interesting.

I have actually HEARD my cornsnakes pass gas when they poop. And it sounds pretty much like any other fart, although it sounded kind of bubbly since they were pooping at the same time.

You can actually hear it? That's a little bit messed up. And once again, TMI! I wish I didn't have eyes to read this stuff....:bang:

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Yah, way to much info. But it is sort of interesting.

You can actually hear it? That's a little bit messed up. And once again, TMI! I wish I didn't have eyes to read this stuff....:bang:

*laughs* Ah, you gentle kind soul. If flatulence is TMI, be wary of the internet. There are those who have revoked their belief in the existence of TMI. *grin*

Lennycorn
03-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Please dont take my word for it, as you should listen to people with more experience, .

This is your best advice I read so far.

Susielea
03-09-2008, 01:15 PM

My boy Blaze was originally called "Squirt" because of the loud noises he makes when passing waste...lol...he's around 4.5 to 5ft now and weighs around 600g, so we can hear when he "goes" from across the room now!

lyndy299
03-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Yup, I've heard the fart. You'll just be sitting on the other side of the room and there it goes...
The worst part? Curiosity means you are pretty likely to go over...
Good for a giggle when friends are over though...yeah, just one of the snakes farting, no worries....

rolandslf
03-09-2008, 01:22 PM
patm1313, when it comes to our corn snakes there is never TMI, we need all the info we can get, whether innocuous or not.
To the originator of this thread, ask away, you will always find us willing to help.

Ciao

patm1313
03-09-2008, 01:36 PM
patm1313, when it comes to our corn snakes there is never TMI, we need all the info we can get, whether innocuous or not.
To the originator of this thread, ask away, you will always find us willing to help.

Ciao

Well I agree with that, but come on, hearing a bubbly fart and describing that it was bubbly because the snake was pooping at the same time is TMI. I guess instead of TMI you could say it's on a need to know basis.

patm1313
03-09-2008, 01:37 PM
This is your best advice I read so far.

:) Thank you, lol. It's mostly because I try to stay away from the health section, but the Bloating title just drew me in.

Roy Munson
03-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Well I agree with that, but come on, hearing a bubbly fart and describing that it was bubbly because the snake was pooping at the same time is TMI. I guess instead of TMI you could say it's on a need to know basis.If you can't handle frank discussion about biological function, then stick to the photo gallery. No one cares what you think is "TMI" or not. We don't need to clear our thoughts through you before we post them. You're straying from my advice again. I won't be giving it via PM anymore-- it's a waste of my time. Don't reply to this post in this thread (that's an order, not a request). The thread isn't about YOU.

Lennycorn
03-09-2008, 01:45 PM
:) Thank you, lol. It's mostly because I try to stay away from the health section, but the Bloating title just drew me in.

It figures.

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 02:54 PM

Ciao

Very, very good to know, thank you. And yeah--as a 'parent,' I wanna know about every bodily function, every potential problem, every amusing 'hey-did-you-know?' Nothing's gross when it's your baby! ;)

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Yup, I've heard the fart. You'll just be sitting on the other side of the room and there it goes...
The worst part? Curiosity means you are pretty likely to go over...
Good for a giggle when friends are over though...yeah, just one of the snakes farting, no worries....

LOL My Kaven's only 10 grams right now, but the day I hear him fart will be a proud day indeed. You should've seen how I praised him for pooing. *facepalm* Pet ownership makes dorks of us all, I do fear. Or at least of me. :D

patm1313
03-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that you can hear the fart from across the room. Is this for an adult corn, or can hatchlings also make audible sounds. I just want to know because I might someday be sitting in the room and just hear this little squeak and wonder what the heck happend.

TripleMoonsExotic
03-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Snakes do fart and it is usually when they poo. My office desk is also in my reptile room and the first time I ever heard a snake fart was from one of my adult female Boas. I thought it was my husband until I peeped into the boa cages where the sound had come from. It was LOUD...Scare the crap out've me (no pun intended).

As far as gas in general, it can happen. My female Pastel BP looked bloated a few weeks ago. At first I thought impaction, but when I put her in a tub of warm water she FLOATED. So with a little bit of gentle pressure (pushing toward the vent) I pushed air out of her lower body. Within an hour she was full of air again (guess she was just really gassy that day) and I let her be. Next day she was "deflated" and hasn't done it since.

I do not recommend just anyone start pushing on their snakes body who does not know when is too much. If you are concerned, go to a vet.

patm1313
03-09-2008, 03:27 PM
At first I thought impaction,

Great minds think alike.

TripleMoonsExotic
03-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Um, no.
I wasn't "regurgitating" information nor did I state that THIS case was an impaction. I was speaking from experience with other possibilities. If it was impaction it would be very unlikely he would have ate for her three days prior to the bloating.

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
it would be very unlikely he would have ate for her three days prior to the bloating.

Which he did, readily, so no, I don't think it's impaction either. I think he's just about to do his business and would probably appreciate it if his over-anxious owner would stop hovering and prodding him already. ;)

Nah, in all seriousness, I do think it's probably gas. I haven't found excrement in his tank so I'm going to try water tonight, I think, but I'll keep an eye on him for a few days and see; if he doesn't deflate I'll contact a vet for advice.

Thanks!

alan
03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Why don't you try getting him "going" by handling him? It seems to work for my snake. Gotta watch where the tail is pointed.

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Why don't you try getting him "going" by handling him? It seems to work for my snake. Gotta watch where the tail is pointed.

*nods* Sounds workable--he has gone before from handling, once. I'll give that a shot! Ah...so to speak. :)

Thanks Alan!

AuralayKristine
03-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Well, I've done it again! LoL I've worried over nothing! He's fine today. I went to hold him as per suggestion, see if I could get things moving, and he's no longer bloated. So he passed what needed passing, and is find and happy and content once more. Even looks like he's starting to go blue again. I'll be sure to make him a sphagnum moss hide this time, since he had trouble shedding in once piece last time.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! And double thanks for all the patience! :)

TripleMoonsExotic
03-10-2008, 05:36 AM
That's great to hear!
Nothing wrong with "overreacting" a bit. I was in half a panic when my Pastel was bloated, so I know how you feel. Should have gotten pictures to show exactly how bloated she was, it certainly wasn't "natural" looking (like if she was about to poo).