PDA

View Full Version : Donations?? PLEASE!

Donations?? PLEASE!

tstephe3
03-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for looking at the thread.

So, i am in a biology club at my university, and we are trying to get some reptiles in our green house. Everything has been approved we just have to aquire the tanks, animals, etc. As of now, we have a community freshwater fish tank going in. A golden gecko, and leapord gecko coming in.

Some people and I are pretty big into snakes, and wanted to get some basic easy to care for snakes. We were hoping to aquire a corn snake, king snake, and a ball python. I was posting on here just to see if anyone was interested on getting rid of an animal (I know this is not likely) or if you know anyone that would like to get rid of one. I hope that we could maybe get a donation, but if someone is willing to sell for a reasonable price, I think we might be able to work something out.

Oh, and we had hoped to get the snakes feeding on adult mice already, as we really do not want to go through the pinky stage.

Any comments or responses would be great!!!

Thanks!

tyflier
03-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Not being a contributing member anymore, I won't put an "ad" here. But check my ReptileGeeks profile, and let me know if you're interested...she's awesome...

tstephe3
03-10-2008, 06:16 PM
thanks! i will pm!

tyflier
03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
thanks! i will pm!
recieved and replied!

Nanci
03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
You should check out your local Craigs List, too. I see snakes on mine all the time.

SnakesRule1234
03-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, but many times the snakes on CL are sick, not properly cared for and so on. You should check out the animal first and be ready to say no! I made the mistake of not saying no and ended up with a mite-infested snake putting my other animals in danger..

tstephe3
03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
wait.. whats the local craigs list?

Ollie218
03-12-2008, 10:53 PM
go to www.craigslist.org, then click on ohio and which ever city is by you

dwyn127
03-12-2008, 11:05 PM
So, i am in a biology club at my university, and we are trying to get some reptiles in our green house.

Thanks!

What university do you attend?

melrad_61000
03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
It's probably not a good idea to have a king snake in there with those other reptiles. My king is quite found of lizards and other snakes.

melrad_61000
03-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Sorry, just re-read and saw that you'll have them in separate tanks. My bad!! Good luck with your project.

lykinst
03-26-2008, 02:50 AM
i agree i made the mistake of putting my king in a smaller tank next to my corn once she would strike at the glass everytime she saw him

Desert_Roach
03-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Hey! PMed ya, check it out.

tstephe3
03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
What university do you attend?

It's Kent State University, we have a zoology program but no animals to go with it. So, thats why we are starting it up. But hopefully early next week we can bring in 2 red eared sliders, a golden gecko, leopard gecko, and a tarantula. We're excited.

Desert... Thanks PM replied.

Thanks for the information on the craig list!

tricksterpup
03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
It's Kent State University, we have a zoology program but no animals to go with it. So, thats why we are starting it up. But hopefully early next week we can bring in 2 red eared sliders, a golden gecko, leopard gecko, and a tarantula. We're excited.

I would also check to see if there is a local herp society in your area. Heck, you might be able to get some there. But I would also talk to your local nature centers as well, they might be able to donate as well. Talk to your DNR, you might be able to get some local herps as well. At least class could do some field studies this summer/spring and look for some native animals.

dwyn127
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I went to Kent from 1979 to 1981........on the weekends:-puke01:

tstephe3
03-30-2008, 11:27 PM
hahaha.. yeah i dont think ive had that many bad weekends. a few but they have been mostly good.

tstephe3
04-02-2008, 12:03 AM
So, I wanted to update everyone. We have received a great donation from Taiba, Desert_Roach. Thank you so much, though we are working on shipping arrangements. I hope that someone might help us on that subject. He has generously donated his sunglow motley.

As soon as I informed the club of this, everyone was very excited and wanted me to try and get more. Ha ha, so I believe I said in my original post that we were looking for basic snakes, such as a corn snake, king snake, and ball python. So now, that we have a corn snake hopefully on the way, we are now very interested in the king and ball python!!! Hopefully we get such a great donation with them as well.

Thank you for reading this thread again everyone!!

tricksterpup
04-02-2008, 12:06 AM
So, I wanted to update everyone. We have received a great donation from Taiba, Desert_Roach. Thank you so much, though we are working on shipping arrangements. I hope that someone might help us on that subject. He has generously donated his sunglow motley.

As soon as I informed the club of this, everyone was very excited and wanted me to try and get more. Ha ha, so I believe I said in my original post that we were looking for basic snakes, such as a corn snake, king snake, and ball python. So now, that we have a corn snake hopefully on the way, we are now very interested in the king and ball python!!! Hopefully we get such a great donation with them as well.

Thank you for reading this thread again everyone!!

What about local animals?? I am very confused by this thread. Seriously, if you are part of an educational vocation, why do you want some really high end pet animals? Why would you not want local animals and others besides snakes?

Cam5
04-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I wish you the very best with your endeavors...
I am a bit confused as to why the donation is necessary?
Are you trying to build a "zoo" of local herps for teaching/learning purposes or are you just wanting as big a diversity as you can get?

Please remember to quarantine ALL your animals esp since you are accepting them from so many different sources.

Do you have the funding to feed and vet the animals?
I trust you already are aware of your local "rules"...

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/laws_and_regsplaceholder/ReptilesAmphibiansLicensingRegulations/tabid/15493/Default.aspx

You all appear to have a fantasitc herp population native to your area...
Have you contacted your local herp society?
http://www.anapsid.org/societies/ohio.html

http://www.snakeemporium.com/aohio.html

tstephe3
04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry for posting a confusing thread. We are looking for all types of animals. I've just kind of taken on the part of trying to get some herps.

The donations are not necessary. But greatly appreciated. As of now, we have two different fresh water fish tanks up and running. We have received donations on two red eared sliders. A golden gecko, and leopard gecko. We also have access to a tarantula. We haven't gotten any of the animals yet, because we are making sure to have the enclosures, and food situated. We plan on breeding our own crickets. And for the turtles we already have some food, and we are trying to get some dark green lettuce from our food services.

As for the vet, we have a local vet that was willing to come in to check over the animals. As well as the supervisor has some vetrinary experience.

I guess the reason why we have been asking for donations, is because we are a new club, and did not receive any funding this year from the university. We have fund raisers planned but for now we are working on limited finances. We actually have some pretty experienced members in the club, and we are not about to go crazy and get to many animals that we cannot handle, feed, or properly care for. There are three that I personally know of that have worked at zoo's as there summer jobs and know the zoo's procedures on cleaning and properly taking care of the animals.

We are looking for a variety of animals. For now they will be display animals until we get settled in. But some will be used for educational purposes for tours of the green house.

I'm sorry for the confusing and misleading post.

tstephe3
04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Oh, and for the snakes, we do have a freezer in the greenhouse.

Cam5
04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Sounds great! I wish you all the very best:)