• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Strange refusals.

Pet Corn Snake

Damien has never really refused to eat a mouse for me, he goes right up to the mouse, and eats it down as soon as he can. But the other day he refused his meal, and when I tried tonight he refused. Sabrina was also rather fussy the other day and actually took quite a while to strike feed. My guess is its that time of year, am I in-correct?

Could be! And Damien just wasn't old enough to cause trouble in previous years. And you're thinking Sabrina is a male, right? I'd just keep trying on their regular feeding day. Is Molly able to eat the mice they refuse, if you reheat?

Thank you guys : ) If he has not eaten for like 9 days already, then wont another 10 be abit harsh lol? Would it not be more "humane" to try again in 3 or 4 days? I'm really hoping he eats this mouse, Sabrina did with feeding togues and a little shake lol, and Molly is just a pig. She was bought as a none feeder "HAHAHAHA" I would faint if she did not eat lol, She probably would love the extra mice, but she'll be obese lol

I meant, you could plan to feed them the same day, then if Damien refused, you could pass it on to Molly.

If it's a real springtime strike, don't be surprised if Damien goes a month or two. If you feel sorry for him and offer every three or four days, you'll be wasting a lot of mice.

Yea, I suppose :/ He did this last year! Meh :/ I'll just have to keep an eye on him, he's 300grams so hopefully he won't loose too much weight if he does continue to refuse.

I checked Molly's teeth tonight too, looking healthy :)

Do you have a record of when exactly he did this last year? That's why I like herp software- then you know all the facts.

Nope, but I was thinking of creating a folder for all 4 of my pets, with records of new events and growth, food refusals, health issues.. Ect.. I'll record this event down :)

Ha Ha, I'm starting to believe Damien is male.. I woke up at 8am this morning to find him climbing the walls of his tank, he's been doing this for about a week now.. And I remember he did this last time he stopped eating...

I'm guessing this is him, hunting for a female?

http://www.eyehit.com/degei/

That's a nice software with a free version, which I used for quite a while before purchasing the paid version. I had to upgrade finally when I was over the limit of animals, which was 20-something. But the paid version is cooler, too.

He's still not eaten, I tried him yesterday and he wanted none of it, infact he was avoiding the mouse, also he's still being very active! :/

I had two refusals last week and two eat. This week everyone ate... I think it is just spring fever. Try not to stress over it and just offer food at your regular time.

Last year, my '01 male only ate twice between the Christmas and Easter! I kept offering every 2 weeks, like clockwork and he kept refusing. Every once in awhile he'd take it, but you get used to it. He's doing it again this year too, but not as much. This year, he's on a every other scheduled feeding hunger strike.

It's really funny when they eat again- it's so surprising! You expect to find a mouse- but wait- it's gone!!

At 300g he can go quite a while without eating with no harm to him.

I have 2 males refusing food now for over a month already. The older male went about 4-5 months without eating last year.

I've found it best to offer to the refusing males every 2 weeks or I would be wasting a lot of mice. When I do offer food, I try the males first so if they refuse it can go to others that ARE eating.

Okay so I'm starting to worry about Damien, he's eaither hunting for a mouse or a female but his activeness is scary, hes always out climbing the sides and the glass.. I offered him half a mouse yesterday, generally the smell of blood gets him going and he comes right out of his hide and eats the half a mouse, but last night he sniffed it and then ignored it, so I left it in, and it was still there in the morning.. I have tried, small mice, normal size mice, half a mouse, nothing is working! :? :? :?

George, it's been just over a week! His hunger strike could last a month or two. If he's out actively exploring, not laying in a corner shriveling away, he's fine!

Well you know what I'm like Nanci, I worry lol.

How are you going to be a parent? :shrugs: ;)

I would wait a few more days and then I would put him in a container in your room (or somewhere) with the lights off for a few hours. Maybe he will eat because he is not in his cage? I hope he eats for you soon so you can stop worrying! Good luck.

Back