PDA

View Full Version : my snake jerks..

my snake jerks..

JadieBabez
03-15-2008, 05:22 PM
ive has this corn snake for about 2 months now. But everytime me or my mum goes to get it out it seems to jerk. Im starting to worry if its going to attack or just being excited to come out.

Corny Noob
03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
He's flinching because of the contact, or so it would seem.
Don't hesitate when you go to pick him up it'll only make it worse for him.
Snakes don't necessarily enjoy being handled.

alan
03-15-2008, 11:10 PM
How old is your snake? When asking questions give specific information to get better answers.
I've never had a young snake, but by people's acounts young snakes are at first not receptive to being handled.
My snake is about 10 years old and VERY used to being handled, but she will still always "flinch" when first touched.
When you are going to pick up your snake touch it or stroke it first, then pick it up.

jamay
03-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Sorry, that's terrible. But several of my little ones are jerky as well. It's probably nothing to worry about and is attributed to being on edge.

Cam5
03-16-2008, 01:53 AM
If it is seen at other times, or extreme (flips head upside down) that would be of concern.
Our little guys 'jerk', pull back into strike position and then settle in once picked up.
If you hesitate, chase them about etc it will just increase their instincts to protect themselves.
Just reach in pick him up and settle in.
You could wear vinyl gloves if it would give you more peace of mind for a bit.

Remember too they have poor long range cision, so imagine a huge fuzzy thing reaching for you and only being able to decifer what it is at the last moment.

OzzysMom
03-16-2008, 01:57 AM
I have only had my corn for about 3 weeks, so we are still getting to know each other. Every time I take him out, he flinchs or jerks when I first touch him, but I don't back away. A couple of times after he flinched, he appeared to go on the defensive, but I just leave my hand where it is at (making sure I am still touching him) and let him taste it and after a few seconds he settles down and I take him out.

I am new, but it makes sense that getting to know each other takes time.

Stregone
03-16-2008, 12:51 PM
It seems to help me to touch my snake about midway or farther down its body before picking it up. It just lets her know I'm coming before I reach for her. Seems to startle her less. The first month or so though, I had to go right for the grab or else I would have to chase her around for a minute or two.

Jessicat
03-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I observed some really weird head jerking behavior in one of my corns when I took her outside. I set her in the grass and her head started going crazy, jerking in every which way as she slithered around. I attributed it to sensory overload, her being really excited about her surroundings.

Male corns also jerk their heads when they are introduced to other snakes, so your snake is either realllly likes you and your mom or is stressed out. Probably he's stressed out. :rolleyes: