PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Noob questions!

Feeding Noob questions!

Soke
03-17-2008, 02:33 PM
im just about to feed my snake for the 1st time its 6 months old and was told to only feed it one pinkie.

Atm its only in a small starter tank till its about a year old then i will go up to a full size vivi, should i get a 2nd tank to feed the snake in or is it okay to feed the snake in his lil tank hes in atm?

Talinea
03-17-2008, 02:41 PM
hi!
that depends on what you use as substrate/ground covering.
If you use shredded wood eg the snake could accidentally swallow bits of material and die of that.
Many people use small plastic boxes for feeding (sandwich boxes, old ice cream boxes...), You can use anything as long as it's easy to clean and closing tight - you don't want your little one to escape, do you? :)

When you decide to use a small box you could also use the chance and weight your corn, so you can have a look at its growth rate.

Soke
03-17-2008, 02:43 PM
also should i give the snake tap or minaral water?

djfreebase
03-17-2008, 02:46 PM
As already mentioned, if you useing aspen then your going to need a seperate feeding container to avoid impaction.

Talinea
03-18-2008, 03:26 PM
hi again!

How is the water where you live? Do they add something like chloride, flouride or similar?
If yes, I'd consider giving bottled water (not sparkling, of course), you never know what added substances in tap water do to your snake.

Greetings!

miara20
03-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I have always put my snake in a seperate tank. I put paper towels on the bottom of it. before I got another tank I put her in the tub or laid a towel down on the floor. I have also always gone with bottle spring water because the vet said regular tap water will end up hurting them. It only cost about 65 cent to a dollar for a whole gallon. So I would go with the bottle water. Good luck