PDA

View Full Version : weight question

weight question

PAIN
03-18-2008, 03:22 AM
Maximus has kept her weight of 60-65 grams for the last month, well maybe just alil over a month. She is about 27-30in long. My question is, is this normal? She is eating hoppers now and i don't wanna up size to mice yet and over feed her something she is not ready for.

most recent pic
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/JCO_CAVGUY/Snakes/HPIM3035.jpg

Susan
03-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Not knowing the size of the hoppers you have, but if they are anything like my hoppers, they vary quite a bit in size. Maximus looks like he can handle those closer to small adults or 2 small hoppers. That should start him gaining again.

RustySpringfield
03-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Maximus has kept her weight of 60-65 grams for the last month, well maybe just alil over a month. She is about 27-30in long. My question is, is this normal? She is eating hoppers now and i don't wanna up size to mice yet and over feed her something she is not ready for.

My Scar is almost exactly the same length and weight as Maximus. I'm currently feeding her 2 small fuzzies (5-6 grams each) every 7 days and she is steadily gaining weight.

Not sure if this helps, but I thought I'd chime in. :)

Just out of interest, how old is Maximus?

PAIN
03-18-2008, 03:14 PM
My Scar is almost exactly the same length and weight as Maximus. I'm currently feeding her 2 small fuzzies (5-6 grams each) every 7 days and she is steadily gaining weight.

Not sure if this helps, but I thought I'd chime in. :)

Just out of interest, how old is Maximus?

I got her in June of last year so i think she is close to a year old.

miara20
03-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I wish they only got 4ft long. I guess some vary in length cause mine is well over 4ft long already and she is not even two years old yet she'll be two in april and she is 4ft 2 inches long and still growing. But I guess some corns are different than others.

PAIN
03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
I wish they only got 4ft long. I guess some vary in length cause mine is well over 4ft long already and she is not even two years old yet she'll be two in april and she is 4ft 2 inches long and still growing. But I guess some corns are different than others.

What size of tank did she grow up in..mine is in a 25 gallon. Does it grow faster if in a larger tank?

Flagg
03-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't think the tank size affects their growth rate.

One thing you can do is cut slits in the back of the F/T. This will help her to digest faster and more completely and does wonders for the growth rate.

Also check out the "Munson Plan" posted in various places on this forum. I've found it helps to always weigh the prey items to make sure they are getting the proper size each feeding, as "hoppers" can vary in size by quite a few grams.

miara20
03-20-2008, 01:12 AM
When I first got sasha I had her in a 10gallon but after like 6 months she grew alot so I put her in a 20 gallon and then about 4 months later I put her in a 40 gallon cause she had grown alot more lol and that is where she's been. I still feed her in a 20 gallon thou. But I think the 40 gallon is too small for her now but people say she is fine she has plenty of room to move around in, but sasha is the most nosiest snake I've ever seen and she soon becomes dissatisfied in her cage so i constantly have to buy new things to put in her cage.

The vet that I take her to said that her corn was 5ft when her husband made her find a new home for it. And she always tells me every time I go in there that sasha isn't done growing yet and starts to laugh. I have read that corns get up to anywhere between 4 and 6ft. So I dont know I'll just have to wait and see how big she gets. She's already over 4ft! and about to shed again so maybe I can get her to hold still again while I measure her. It shouldnt be a problem now cause she is sick with an URI. So she isnt as active right now.

miara20
03-20-2008, 01:18 AM
I don't think the tank size affects their growth rate.

One thing you can do is cut slits in the back of the F/T. This will help her to digest faster and more completely and does wonders for the growth rate.

Also check out the "Munson Plan" posted in various places on this forum. I've found it helps to always weigh the prey items to make sure they are getting the proper size each feeding, as "hoppers" can vary in size by quite a few grams.

Thanks Flagg! I didnt know that would help to cut a slit in the back of the F/T I'll have to try that. And will check out the "Munson Plan". I guess I learned something new :)

Flagg
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
No problem, but if you do NOT want your snake to grow more quickly, then by all means don't start cutting the mice.

Fast growth is great when they are young but perhaps not so wise as they get older. My first corn, an 05 normal female, is over 600g. And I never overfed her, she was on a 7 day schedule with the proper size prey, but I always slit them. She's on a 10 day schedule now, and might go to 14 if she keeps gaining a lot.

Feeding them African soft furred rats for a year might have had something to do with it as well...

miara20
03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
lol wow 600 g. well mine is an 06 amel i do believe. and she is 425g already. I have been giving her two adult mice every 14 days but she keeps getting hungry so i give her two adult mice one week and then one the next but then she just keeps gaining weight. So maybe I will do the munson plan well hopefully I will be able to do it if she survives this RI. She has the worse one yet and Im a bit worried for her. Not sure what to do other than keep giving her the shots and keep her temps up. So hopefully she will come out of this in good health.