PDA

View Full Version : Poo or regurge? #2

Poo or regurge? #2

Gurthee
03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Ok, I've searched and read and I still don't know what I'm seeing. All of the pictures I've seen of regurged mice look like the mice went through a meat grinder. Is that because someone has picked through them to find something or is that what they look like after they've been regurged?

Here's my situation. I would estimate Ziggy's age at near 6 months, I don't know his exact hatch date. I just went from pinkies to fuzzies 2 weeks ago because I couldn't see a lump in him after 12 hours and sometimes even right after he ate so I figured it was time to up the size. He took the first fuzzy fine and I didn't notice any lump after about 24-30 hours so I thought everything was fine.

About 3 days later I find this thing at the bottom of the cage but it sure didn't look like a poo or the pics of the regurges I've seen. It was smooth and whitish(the color of the mouse's fur) and about the size of the mouse length wise but thinner, maybe half the circumference of Ziggy. It didn't really smell, although I didn't stick my nose in it either.

Well, Ziggy sheds 3 days later so I'm thinking ok, maybe it was because of the shed. So I wait 8 days then try another fuzzy and he takes it just fine. This one was even smaller than the first so I'm thinking he should be fine. Hardly a lump after he ate it. Well, sure enough 3-4 days later I find the same thing.

So what do you think I'm finding here? Does a regurge normally look like a chopped up piece of fur and bones or does it look like a smooth little package? Maybe he's having a tough time with the fur? The pinkies were pretty much hairless but these guys had a full body of hair. Also, how soon would a snake regurge or does it depend on the cause? I don't think it's size but maybe I need to wait the full 10 days and go back to pinkies for a while?

I know I threw up a lot of questions there but I'm just at a loss because the pictures I see of regurges don't resemble what I'm finding.

Thanks all.

TWGarland
03-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry, im going to advise, but don't have time to read your whole post.

If you've found any mouse parts (not hair) recognisable then its a regurge, you shouldn't regularly see bones in the poop or anything.

A regurge also smells terrible, alot worse than a poopy smell. Any dodgy colours, reds, greens etc. are not normal, white and shades of brown are.

A normal poop can have a white section in it, those are the urates. A normal poop, (dependant on the size of your corn) should look somewhat like a bird poop. Should have a liquid element, and a more solid (although not necassarily completely solid) darker, poop section.

Hope some one with the time to read you post can further help you.

All the best.

Tom

Nanci
03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I say if it's white, and doesn't smell, it's poo. The regurges I've seen have been a whole mouse, with a skeleton, that stunk up the entire room for days after the body was removed.

bsr8129
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
i got jsut the same thing the other day, it was kinda grey in color, kinda looked like a 1/4 of a digested mouse, he ate about 5 days earlier nothing on friday, then went away for the weekend came back and found it, didnt really smell that bad, but not sure regurge or not. Since it was such a long time since he was feed and when we found it