PDA

View Full Version : Poor baby... what can I do?

Poor baby... what can I do?

mommynansley
03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
:uhoh:
I have a little escape artist named Lenny. He is a juvenile Motley Amel. He escaped one night about 2 weeks ago, and when I found him under the couch, I didn't notice anything was wrong with him. The next night, I had him out and was holding him when I noticed, what I thought was a scratch on his bottom jaw. After I cleaned it out real good and put some peroxide on it, I figured out that his bottom jaw is ripped into. The only thing I can figure out is he might have had a run in with one of the cats... The wound is only about 1/2 long, but it does go all the way through to the inside of his mouth. We took him to the local exotic pets store, as we don't really have any reptile vets around here. The guy there looked at him, and said that he would be fine, and just to keep it clean, and put antibiotic ointment on the wound. I have been keeping him on newspaper and being extra cautious about not letting him get out, but the wound doesn't seem to be healing. It isn't bleeding or anything, it is just split. He has been eating just fine, so it isn't stopping him from that. Should I stop feeding him until it heals up? Is there anything else I can do to get it to stay together so that it can heal? Liquid bandage??? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

connord94
03-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Any pics :shrugs:

Corn's naturally have a split on the underside of the head... but you said it goes right through to the mouth. . . :shrugs:

Someone else maybe able to answer..

Connor

mommynansley
03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't have any pictures right now b/c my camera charger has seemed to grow legs and walk away... The cut is actually off centered, and when I first cleaned it out, there was some blood, but I had to get the bedding out of it. I moved him to newspaper and having bedding stuck in it has not been an issue since, but when he is eating, you can see how much it is split as it tends to spread open a good bit. He is only eating pinkies, so switching to something smaller isn't really an option.