PDA

View Full Version : drink then yawwwn!

drink then yawwwn!

doortech9
03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
its almost become a regular routine now that after i handle seth, just as im letting him back into his viv, before he is out of my hands he goes right for the water and has a drink. sometimes he only has a tiny sip but sometimes he has quite a bit. 9 times out of ten he crawls through his warm hide and pokes his head out for a bit, almost surveying the scene, and then has a yawn! sometimes two. first of all i wonder if he is dehydrated seeing as he drinks almost everytime i handle him, or maybe he is cooling off after taking on too much heat from me . does anyone elses serpent act this way? and as for the yawning, i have read some other posts and people have said this is realigning the jaw. comments?

Codeman_111
03-25-2008, 11:27 PM
That's sweet! At least he gives you a good showing! Every snake has their own, unique, personality... My young corn has his own routine as well. After he eats, he's ready to escape... I usually don't have a problem transferring him back, but sometimes he tries to be tricky.. lol! Once he gets into the viv, it's straight to the nearest hide... Once he's in there, he stays for hours and doesn't move. I guess he feels a little insecure about his surroundings. ;( Since I've had him, which hasn't been more than a month yet, I have yet to see him drink even once! :shrugs:

His alias, "Sneaky 'Silky' Johnston." :o

autumn75
03-26-2008, 07:40 AM
My little corn does the same thing... as soon as I put him back in the viv he makes a b-line for the water and drinks up... i just figure all that squirming around in my hands makes him thirsty. It's so cute to watch them drink!

I've also been wondering about the yawning. I have noticed him realigning his jaw after meals, but in between feedings I see him yawn almost every day... sometimes while I'm handling him and sometimes when he's just out and about in his viv.

patm1313
03-26-2008, 08:06 AM
I wish my corn would yawn for me.... After I feed/handle him he usually just crawls back into his hide and rests his head on his belly, looking at me like he had just slithered around the world.

autumn75
03-26-2008, 08:22 AM
it's funny how they each have their own routine. when i put mine back in his viv after eating he gets a drink then cruises his tank for about 5-10 minutes and then retreats to his hide for the next 24 hours... once his lump is gone, he's right back to being all over the tank and up and down his the branches and then sits in the front staring at us like he wants to know when he's getting picked back up! he loves being held!

patm1313
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
it's funny how they each have their own routine. when i put mine back in his viv after eating he gets a drink then cruises his tank for about 5-10 minutes and then retreats to his hide for the next 24 hours... once his lump is gone, he's right back to being all over the tank and up and down his the branches and then sits in the front staring at us like he wants to know when he's getting picked back up! he loves being held!

I have never found anything cute in my life, until corn snakes that is. Not babies, not pink things, not little kids, not bunnies, nothing, until I saw corn snakes. They seem to have such a personality. They are so interesting!

newtocorn
03-26-2008, 01:47 PM
after eating a meal i always go to place my snkae back in the viv and he goes straight for some water... hes calm and even takes a quick dip then in a flash it all changes and it seems like he gets freaked out and goes and hides...

erac262
03-29-2008, 04:32 AM
thats cool my yearling okatee stairs me right in the face and yawns almost every time i handle him. I think hes sayin im tired cuz he does it after ive ben holdin him for at least 20 min then he goes and finds a warm spot on me and curls up

mynamesrick
03-31-2008, 04:41 AM
my buddies corn snake little corn snake would always do that after he ate.. i guess it was to get his jaw back in to alignment.. at least thats what i have read.