PDA

View Full Version : cutting mice

cutting mice

Lonman
03-26-2008, 12:41 AM
I have read that some folks cut mice down the middle, the backs, or even in half. I have not read anything yet about doing this in standards about feeding. Why do you cut mice or pinkies for feeding? Do you have to?

I have not corn yet, but have been doing about 2 weeks of research and shopping around before we get one.

Lonman

cornlover221
03-26-2008, 12:52 AM
i slit my pinks about 4-5 times down the back and its suppose to help with digestion not rally sure how, someone else could prolly help with that, but from what ive seen so far with me slitting is that they digest alot quicker then not being slit, ill have to find it but theres a thread on here that shows the differrence in the over snakes wieght and legth do to non slitting and being slit

cornlover221
03-26-2008, 12:54 AM
here it is....

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=197355&postcount=12

Messorius
03-26-2008, 01:44 AM
i slit my pinks about 4-5 times down the back and its suppose to help with digestion not rally sure how, someone else could prolly help with that, but from what ive seen so far with me slitting is that they digest alot quicker then not being slit, ill have to find it but theres a thread on here that shows the differrence in the over snakes wieght and legth do to non slitting and being slit

I'd guess because that way the stomach acids can work into the insides a lot quicker, without having to break down the skin first.

autumn75
03-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Why do you cut mice or pinkies for feeding? Do you have to?

I do it to speed up digestion (I noticed it took almost 48 hours for my 6 g corn to digest a day-old pinkie without cutting it, and less than 24 hours if I make a couple slits on the pinkie's back).

I've also found that a little blood/juice oozing from the pinkie helps catch their attention quicker.

Lonman
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info. That was very interesting. Do you only cut the pinkies and fuzzys or cut all mice you feed? I would imagine for the reasons stated why, that I should cut all mice. Correct?

Lonman

Nanci
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I cut everything. I bet most people who do cut stop once they start feeding adult mice, or sooner.