PDA

View Full Version : Small Bug Found In Tank

Small Bug Found In Tank

g124v17y
03-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi again everyone,

I saw a small bug in my snake's viv today. I couldn't grab it and it went under the aspen... Should I be worried? It is very small, about the size of a pen point.

Thanks,
Sam

lykinst
03-26-2008, 11:00 AM
was the bug white or black?

Jcapicy
03-26-2008, 11:48 AM
clean your tank out completely, would be my first thought.

Nanci
03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Could be an aspen mite...

lykinst
03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
i agree mites can be very dangerous to you snake what 20 dollars worth of bedding compared to your snake? just dump it out and add some new bedding

newtocorn
03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
i have the same problem.. except i also saw it on my snake.. its was lached on and i had to take it off with tweezers.. i havent tried it yet but someone recomended provent a mite

tricksterpup
03-26-2008, 12:33 PM
i have the same problem.. except i also saw it on my snake.. its was lached on and i had to take it off with tweezers.. i havent tried it yet but someone recomended provent a mite

Where there is one mite there are MANY!!! I Would clean out your tank and give your snake a bath. Remember to treat your tank with the proper Mite treatment that you have in your country. I would lay down newspaper for the next few months of treatment. But you will need to do this ASAP.

newtocorn
03-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Where there is one mite there are MANY!!! I Would clean out your tank and give your snake a bath. Remember to treat your tank with the proper Mite treatment that you have in your country. I would lay down newspaper for the next few months of treatment. But you will need to do this ASAP.

im am going out tonight to the local petstores to buy something to clean my tank with.. and by giving my snale a bath just putting it in a tub of water??

and also you say newspaper. does that mean under the aspen or no aspen at all?

patm1313
03-26-2008, 12:58 PM
That could be a bit of a problem. Considering the size, I'm guessing it's either a tick or a mite, but don't take my word for it. Bugs in tanks = Bad. I would keep a look-out for any more bugs (or that same one) and catch it, and then report back with what it looked like.

I haven't yet had any problem with bugs, knock on wood, but I have heard and read that they can be harmful to snakes.

Morph Collector
03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Prevent a mite is what I use. you need to follow the directions to the "T" or you will kill your snake with that product though. Please take extra care to read and follow the "Prevent-A-Mite" directions. You need to clean your cage, no matter what the infestation you should get it away from your animals, and if you have multiple animals, you should separate them. Remember this, the mites are all over your house, and that if you saw one mite, there are millions most definitely. I would use the Prevent A Mite at least 3x (every 30 days) to prevent a relapse, because sometimes you can get just 1 egg that lived, that will reform the entire colony of mites again. Also, time is of the essence, think of them laying millions of eggs an hour, I would get this done ASAP. I hope this helped :/ mites really suck.

Morph Collector
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
im am going out tonight to the local petstores to buy something to clean my tank with.. and by giving my snale a bath just putting it in a tub of water??

Petco has a product called Dr. Flea Reptile Relief, its much milder than Prevent A Mite, but will not solve the problem. I would recommend you buy that first while Prevent A Mite is being shipped to you (I can never find it in stores, except 1 specialty shop all the way across Tucson). Once again follow the directions! These are poisons, and can actually harm your animal(s), but not if you use them right. You need to Sanitize the cage, entirely with a Quatricide or Nolvasan, (or diluted bleach mixture) because that will take care of the initial problem, the mites! Then you have to deal with the eggs (prevent-a-mite).

tricksterpup
03-26-2008, 01:16 PM

No aspen, newspaper only. I have given a snake a bath and a rinse with normal liquid hand soap, do not get any on the head. And remember not to get any on the head.

That could be a bit of a problem. Considering the size, I'm guessing it's either a tick or a mite, but don't take my word for it. Bugs in tanks = Bad. I would keep a look-out for any more bugs (or that same one) and catch it, and then report back with what it looked like.

I haven't yet had any problem with bugs, knock on wood, but I have heard and read that they can be harmful to snakes.

Again, you have only had your snake and kept snakes less than 6 months, you have no clue.

One way I use to test for mites, I take a damp terry cloth and wipe over the head. See if you can see any tiny black specks. Mites look like fine pepper. When they are full of blood is when you really can see them.

patm1313
03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Prevent a mite is what I use. you need to follow the directions to the "T" or you will kill your snake with that product though. Please take extra care to read and follow the "Prevent-A-Mite" directions.

Uh, JMO, but I wouldn't ever use anything like that that could kill my snake that easily... :shrugs:

newtocorn
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Petco has a product called Dr. Flea Reptile Relief, its much milder than Prevent A Mite, but will not solve the problem. I would recommend you buy that first while Prevent A Mite is being shipped to you (I can never find it in stores, except 1 specialty shop all the way across Tucson). Once again follow the directions! These are poisons, and can actually harm your animal(s), but not if you use them right. You need to Sanitize the cage, entirely with a Quatricide or Nolvasan, (or diluted bleach mixture) because that will take care of the initial problem, the mites! Then you have to deal with the eggs (prevent-a-mite).

ok will do.. Dr. flea reptile releif is that to clean the viv.. or to spray on the snake.. is there anything i can use to keep them off of the snake?? and ill make sure to completly clean it out with a bleach solution tonite.. and will the eggs stay in there even if i clean it out thuroughly with the bleach??

tricksterpup
03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Uh, JMO, but I wouldn't ever use anything like that that could kill my snake that easily... :shrugs:

This is one of best items on the market and has been tested with snakes. Until you have some REAL experience please do not respond.

There is another product out there called Black Knight2. I hear from many of the old time herpers that the original Black Knight was the best product on the market.
http://www.proexotics.com/bk2_strategy.html

tricksterpup
03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
ok will do.. Dr. flea reptile releif is that to clean the viv.. or to spray on the snake.. is there anything i can use to keep them off of the snake?? and ill make sure to completly clean it out with a bleach solution tonite.. and will the eggs stay in there even if i clean it out thuroughly with the bleach??

There is reptile relief but I prefer to do the bath method. I just am not a big fan on spraying chemicals on my snakes.

But if you spray the cage, trust me, the mites will die and just go climbing out if you have a wooden cage. A glass cage, make sure you get the corners really well. And remember to take out all bedding and wash your hides and bowls. Do not need to soak them in bleach, just hot soapy water, like your doing your dishes. Heck, put them in the dish washer.

Nanci
03-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Don't you guys want to find out what the bug was before you start treating the snake for mites??? There are a lot of other things it could be besides snake mites.

tricksterpup
03-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Don't you guys want to find out what the bug was before you start treating the snake for mites??? There are a lot of other things it could be besides snake mites.

lol true, it could be a fly.

newtocorn
03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
lol true, it could be a fly.

oh i think we sorta hijacked this guys thread.. cuz im sure mine were mites.. ill do the bath as well tonite.. i saw some stuff at petsmart that i could spray on a cloth and wide the snake down with.. but i would rather go with the water and soap... hopefully i can get a hold of something untill i can get the provent a mite... anyone have anylinks to where i can get it. not too expensive?

Morph Collector
03-26-2008, 01:40 PM

It won't harm your snake if its dry basically... Just read the directions, its meant to use bedding afterwards I am pretty sure. one sec grabbing can...

"remove snake. Spray bedding 12"-15" from the substrate, and 1 second per square foot. Leave the cage open, and let air dry." the critical part is the drying, once its dry its "harmless" to the snake, and kills mite eggs like the Terminator kills little kids (or tries to).

Morph Collector
03-26-2008, 01:41 PM
*smacks self* You can use the old bedding, and just spray it, but whenever I have used this I have sprayed "new" bedding...

patm1313
03-26-2008, 01:49 PM
This is one of best items on the market and has been tested with snakes. Until you have some REAL experience please do not respond.

Really? Becuase in my quote the person described it quite badly. Like I said, just my opinion, but if the stuff works, then it is what it is.

patm1313
03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
It won't harm your snake if its dry basically... Just read the directions, its meant to use bedding afterwards I am pretty sure. one sec grabbing can...

"remove snake. Spray bedding 12"-15" from the substrate, and 1 second per square foot. Leave the cage open, and let air dry." the critical part is the drying, once its dry its "harmless" to the snake, and kills mite eggs like the Terminator kills little kids (or tries to).

Then that's my mistake. I was thinking it was a lot worse then that. I use stuff that I also have to let dry like that, or else it can be poisonus to the snake, but it's used for cleaning, not mites.

newtocorn
03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
once i get the provent a mite ill leave it to dey over night.. and place my little guy in another tub or something

tricksterpup
03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Really? Becuase in my quote the person described it quite badly. Like I said, just my opinion, but if the stuff works, then it is what it is.

The problem with your posts are that you make it sound you are an experienced herper and you are not.

g124v17y
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone I got the damn bug and I took some pictures of it. Here they are.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/g124v17y/DSCF0472.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/g124v17y/DSCF0471.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/g124v17y/DSCF0470.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/g124v17y/DSCF0469.jpg

It obviously has wings and is black. I will definetly clean out my snake's cage ASAP.

Morph Collector
03-26-2008, 03:33 PM
once i get the provent a mite ill leave it to dey over night.. and place my little guy in another tub or something

That will work great! because the effects of Provent a Mite lasts 30 days, so ur good, and you can't be too safe with that product. I would just make sure you can keep the snake warm, and with water.

g124v17y
03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
THat is definetly not a mite... lol so what is it?

Morph Collector
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
That looks like a beetle of some sort. By the size of it I would say its not a mite. Any one else care to take a gander?

g124v17y
03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Well it was bigger than pepper definetly, maybe like a ball of pepper but not ground pepper.

patm1313
03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
The problem with your posts are that you make it sound you are an experienced herper and you are not.

I wish.... Anyway, if I make myself sound like that, then I'm truly sorry. I'm not trying to mislead people.

About the pictures: I agree it's definetley a beetle. Guessing by the size (comparing it to the keys on the keyboard in one of the pics) I would say it's little over the size the size of a ladybug. Definitley not a mite, and not a tick. IDK, but if you kill that one, and more show up, then it may become a bit of a problem.

-Patm1313 :dgrin:

g124v17y
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Well acctually it is a bit smaller than a lady bug, but about the same size I would say. That is, northeastern United States lady bugs anyway ;-) but in any case, I stopped panicing now and everything is under control. If any more show up I will do a cleaning of his viv, which I am going to do for his next feeding anyway.

patm1313
03-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Well acctually it is a bit smaller than a lady bug, but about the same size I would say. That is, northeastern United States lady bugs anyway ;-) but in any case, I stopped panicing now and everything is under control. If any more show up I will do a cleaning of his viv, which I am going to do for his next feeding anyway.

Well that sounds like a good plan.

Morph Collector
03-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Well it was bigger than pepper definetly, maybe like a ball of pepper but not ground pepper.

Definitely larger than a pen point... Had me scared there for a minute. I have dealt with mites, and vow to never again.

Nanci
03-26-2008, 04:39 PM
I would do nothing, and wait to see if there are more in there. It's not going to be harmful to the snake.

emze
03-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi
I would agree with what all these nice people are saying, i have had the experience of panicking when i saw a mite on my snake. It turned out that there was only one but as soon as i found it i cleaned out her viv, and used an anti-mite product from the pet store. You do have to be really careful and i am so glad that i did not suffer an infestation. Good look and i hope it doesn't turn into a major problem.