PDA

View Full Version : Update on male and how to cope with coccidia

Update on male and how to cope with coccidia

13mur 6
06-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I thought it would be about time to update on my male. I've nothing but good news, my male is gaining alot of weight, the backbone ridge is visibly diminished and he's gotten about 50% wider in girth all in the course of just a few weeks, his poo looks normal and his feeding response is outstandingly aggressive. This rapid change occurred after some very specific cage cleaning methods.

Coccidia along with all other protozoans and their cysts have two weaknesses they all have in common; their inability to cope with extreme heat and dryness and UV radiation. I've been cleaning ALL of my cages by first leaving them outside on a sunny afternoon for about 4 hours and then bleaching and rinsing followed by a scrub with dish washing fluid and then followed by a liberal rinsing via the garden hose. After that's through, I pat it dry with some paper towels and then blast the inside with a blow dryer until the surface of the tank reaches a fairly hot to touch temperature (not sure how hot, the temp probe can only go up to 130 deg F). For me it takes about 5 minutes to reach that temp, and I also make sure the glass and the lil nooks and crannies are absolutely dessicated. I allow the tank to cool and then put the snake back in.

I remembered how powerful a blow dryer could be after I blow dryed a house centipede the size of my palm to death when I was little and watched how it's rear end curled up into a crispy spiral and watching it shrink to just a 3rd of its original size right before my eyes as it's fat plump body lost all it's moisture.

However, I still don't know what's been causing my snake to be so sick for so long. Also I stopped giving him acidophillus supplement in his food, I think his poo returned to normal after the stop. Perhaps UVA/UVB light does have a purpose to corns afterall, as it may potetially kill a large number of protozoan parasites in their habitats.

Thanks for everyone who've helped me through this ordeal. Learned a whole lot of things almost accidentally due to your combined efforts.

-Lemur 6