PDA

View Full Version : temperamental teen... who's name is... "Tim"

temperamental teen... who's name is... "Tim"

steviewonder54
03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey,
Im new to the forum, and fairly new to snakes.
basically i have a normal corn which I've adopted from a friend of a friend. and it had been lost for a while (not in my care!), therefore lost weight and "friendliness". I've had "Tim" for about 4 weeks and he's eating very well and temps are good etc etc... BUT... when i go to handle him its very hit and miss if he'll get defensive with me.
Basically i was asking people for general tips as to getting Tim out safely and as stress free as possible.
thanks
Steve

Drizzt80
03-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Is he just getting defensive or is he actually biting you? If he's just "posing" aggression, grab him and pick him up, it's all a bluff . . . that's working! :) If he's actually biting and attacking you put on a pair of glvoes and grab him and pick him up. He'll get back used to it.

D80

steviewonder54
03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
no.. he hasn't bitten me, yet, but thats not to say he hasn't tried. but even if he does get defensive with me.. i still make sure i take him out (is that right?). but then again other times he's completely happy to be picked up, not sure why its so hit and miss with him?!

PAIN
03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
hmmm the title of this sounds familiar,,,Holy Grail maybe? lol Tim the enchanter

patm1313
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Once my corn was like this.

I suggest two things:
A. Keep handling him. He will eventually get used to you.
B. To speed up the above process, do this: Keep your scent the same. I did that by rubbing my hands on my bed, where I coulld pick up the most of my natural scent. Also, if you have other pets, it might not be the best idea to pet them and then handle your corn. Not only because of scent issues, but because you could spread bad things.

That's all I got for you, welcome to the forum.

steviewonder54
03-31-2008, 05:13 PM
yea cheers for the tips... yea, i have a dog and two rats.. so ill give the bed idea a whirl... as well as keep handling him!
and as for the "tim the enchanter" comment.... it wasnt what i originally had in mind... but both tims are very... 'fiery'.... sorry... terrible joke!! lol