• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does this fuzzy look too big???

svt*girl

I posted earlier about possibly moving my Corn Snake from pinkies to fuzzies. Well we fed him today and I'm wondering if this fuzzy is too big?? It just looks so big!
SnakeMan-BillyJean001.jpg

From the photo, it looks a tad big. I go by the rule of thumb of feed your snake an food item that is 1 1/2 times the snake girth. If that helps. Other use Roys methods.

He ended up eating it with no problem but I was a little worried it may be too big. He sure has a big lump now. Can somebody please explain the 1 1/2 times the girth??? Because we thought that looked about right?

1 1/2 time the snake biggest girth. Usually mid section.
Lets say...ahh just a little bigger the the mid section.

When you move up a size it will take longer to go down. So don't fret that OK. You're on the money. It's just hard for me with the picture and not with snake in hand.

He ended up eating it with no problem but I was a little worried it may be too big. He sure has a big lump now. Can somebody please explain the 1 1/2 times the girth??? Because we thought that looked about right?

When explaining this method, I use "the same size as the girth" because 1.5x can be confusing to a lot of people (including myself at one time). Just make sure the prey item is right around the size of the snake you are feeding it to, and you should be ok. The food you are feedin in that pic looks a hair on the big side for me (about 2x the size of the girth I can see - but pics aren't 3D). The last time I fed my spider male BP, I fed it a medium rat, which was right around 2x the size of my snakes widest girth (circumference of the largest part of the body), and he took a while to eat it, so I am going to make sure that the next feeding is a hair smaller in order to avoid problems with his jaw, or worse case scenario the snake dies trying to eat.

Back