PDA

View Full Version : Scale rot?

Scale rot?

Pet Corn Snake
04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Okay, so the whole egg head thing with Sabrina was resolved when I went into her tank today and discovered she was in blue. So that panic is over :)

However I then checked Damien today and found one or two scales had been shed, and looked rather funny :/ Damien ate the otherday and he's been a lot less active, because over the last few week he has not eaten and has been out of his hides all day.. So I thought things where getting better, then I find this!

What should I do? Is this a shed or a scale rot? I don't know what could have caused it :/

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z73/MagicImage/damien11.pnghttp://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z73/MagicImage/damien12.png

It's just near his head and neck, the rest of him seem fine..

Pet Corn Snake
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Someone on another forum said that it does not seem to be scale rot, and that he may have just rubbed against something to hard,

but please can I have some opinions from here..

TWGarland
04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Sorry i can't help with a diagnosis, but wish you all the best with that and im sure its not life threatening whatever it is.
Just posted to ask if you'd noticed that black mark on what looks like his lower jaw in the first pic? Is that just some dust or something? Cos he shouldn't have any black on him as an amel to my understanding :shrugs:

Pet Corn Snake
04-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I noticed the black dot too, however I just checked him and its extreamly small and just looks like a piece of dirt or dust on his face, I'll check it again next time I get him out, but I dont think its anything to worry baout

bitsy
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
When mine had scale rot, it affected the leading edges of the belly scales. They became discoloured, brownish and ragged. I didn't notice it affecting other parts of the body.

TWGarland
04-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Maybe he's just really horny, staying out all the time as you've described and jamming his head into just about everything he can :shrugs:

tyflier
04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
When I had to deal with a case of scale rot, it started on the belly scutes with dark brown discoloration. I didn't see ANY signs of scale rot on the dorsal side until the problem was VERY progressed, and it looked nothing like what I see in your pictures. It showed up dorsally as bumps that appeared on the back...almost like "boils", but not puss-filled. Note that this only occured after serious progression of the issue, and during Baytril treatments, which eventually cleared up the problem.

It *looks* like he isn't finished shedding...like he has some old skin "hanging on" in spots...I notice some loosened skin around his jawline in the first picture. But take that with a grain of salt. It's REALLY hard to diagnose potential issues through photographs.

Good Luck, George, and if it appears to be something serious...take him to the vet...

Pet Corn Snake
04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks a lot guys, i'll keep my eye on the little guy :D
Everything else is good though : )

I'll pop back again sometime, not been very active lately, in the last few months of my courses and the homework is insane.

K'Bear
04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Looks to me like a picture i seen on another forum of a snake that had rubbed aginst a light and burn his scales. Do you have a light in there that he could have cameinto contact with your snake? the marks look abit small so im not sure.

Best of luck.

Pet Corn Snake
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
nope :/ he's on a heat mat under his tank.

Thanks though

Pet Corn Snake
04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello everyone, Damien surprised me with a shed the other day, he was looking abit pinker but his eyes seemed fine so maybe i missed the misty eyed stage.. Anyways the scale damage looks FAR better but his diamond on his head is still funny.. In the first picture his diamond looked quite wrinkly, and i checked it when he shed and its still the same, i have checked old close ups and this never used to be like that.. Is it anything to worry about??

TWGarland
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Its probably going to differ abit in appearance as it heals up IMO, like a scab on your knee, as long as its slowly improving ;) it may take a few sheds