PDA

View Full Version : When will she shed?

When will she shed?

sachamama
04-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi again...

I have had my 2007 hatchlings for 1 month now in which time I saw one of them shed twice. She shed just before I brought her home, then 3 weeks later again.

Nevertheless, the other girl doesnt even appear to be thinking about it yet. Should I be worried? How often would snake of that age be expected to shed? They both have same living conditions, living in two identical vivs right next to each other.

Thank you for ideas :)

TWGarland
04-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Sorry im abit confused. You have two snakes, ones shed a few times since you've had them, the other hasn't shed? How long has it been without a shed? Has it shed at all since you've had it?

Just a little info before you answer me, but i wouldnt be very concerned if you've only had them a month in total, thats not very long. Maybe one snake shed just before you got them? Every snake varies anyways :spinner:

sachamama
04-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Sorry im abit confused. You have two snakes, ones shed a few times since you've had them, the other hasn't shed? How long has it been without a shed? Has it shed at all since you've had it?

Just a little info before you answer me, but i wouldnt be very concerned if you've only had them a month in total, thats not very long. Maybe one snake shed just before you got them? Every snake varies anyways :spinner:

Yes thats right, I bought them 1 month ago. Unfortunately I didnt know better then and didnt ask whether the "problem" snake shed recently. The guy in the pet shop seemed to be friendly and helpfull, helped with the other snake who was just going through a problematic shed too. She couldnt get the skin off all by herself so he soaked her and dealt with it for me. (her 2nd shed was also in bits and I had to put her into the "snake bath" again, which solved the problem beautifully.
So I trusted this guy and he didnt mention that there were any problems I should know of with the other snake.

This one, her "sister" (they have not been sexed, Im just guessing in the meantime:)) has not shed, as far as Im aware of, till this day, since I had her, nor she showed any signs of getting near the idea.

But as you say, Im still trusting that its ok as its only been 1 month so it doesnt seem too bad. But want to be ready to spring into action should there be any warning problem signs.

What would be the longest shedding period for a snake of that age tolerable? I dont know when they hatched, only that they are 2007.

Hope Im expressing myself clearly enough, do ask if not, English is my 2nd language :)

Nanci
04-02-2008, 07:53 AM
We can't tell you when she will shed, only that she will. Some day you will think "hey, I haven't seen my snake out for a couple days" and she will be blue. A good way to make sure your snakes are growing is to buy a gram scale and weigh them frequently.