PDA

View Full Version : unexpected death...

unexpected death...

BabyMowgli
04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I have NEVER had a snake die before. Last night I checked on everyone. (I have 2 older rescue corns and 1 hatchling. I also have 2 ball pythons and 2 leopard geckos) And everyone was either in their hides looking at me or zooming around their tanks. (just for the record everyone lives in separate vivs)

So this morning I get out of the shower and my amel rescue girl is dead... open mouth laying in the front of her viv. She ate last about 2 weeks ago, adult frozen mouse. She refused her last meal offered to her and I was going to feed them all again tonight.

Is this something I should be worried about with my other snakes? what do you think happened to her? She was fat and sassy and her viv was at the proper temps.

should I steralize her tank and clean everyone else as well??

Toshiro
04-03-2008, 12:50 PM
oh So sad.. :(
I hope the others will be fine.

sorry for your loss.

wade
04-03-2008, 01:08 PM
From what you have said, I couldn't even guess the cause. Don't know how to advise.

Spiritwather
04-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I have NEVER had a snake die before. Last night I checked on everyone. (I have 2 older rescue corns and 1 hatchling. I also have 2 ball pythons and 2 leopard geckos) And everyone was either in their hides looking at me or zooming around their tanks. (just for the record everyone lives in separate vivs)

So this morning I get out of the shower and my amel rescue girl is dead... open mouth laying in the front of her viv. She ate last about 2 weeks ago, adult frozen mouse. She refused her last meal offered to her and I was going to feed them all again tonight.

Is this something I should be worried about with my other snakes? what do you think happened to her? She was fat and sassy and her viv was at the proper temps.

should I steralize her tank and clean everyone else as well??

First off sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't know a heck of a lot, but let me just say, if you dont sterilize your vivs, it may or may not happen again, but if you do, then atleast you've gotten rid of the chance that, that might be whats causing the problem.

snakewispera snr
04-03-2008, 01:24 PM
These things happen with rescues......How old was it?....Who had it before you? How was it kept? Why was it a rescue? How long had you had it?
Sterilizing everyone isn't a bad idea....At the least, it can maybe eliminate one factor from the equation.

bitsy
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
If you want a vet to do a PM, pop her body in the fridge (NOT the freezer) and store her until you can find a reptile expert. That's probably the only way to be sure, but it'll cost.

But with a rescue, it could have been anything. If you don't know her age or history, then she just may have lived out her natural 15-20 year lifespan. If they're in good health, once they get over three years old it can be difficult to tell a teenager from a pensioner just by looks.

She could have had internal damage from injuries with a previous owner that weren't visible externally... She could have experienced periods of neglect where she was given too little food or the wrong type, which would have weakened her generally... She could have been kept in poor conditions or with inadequate heat which would have had the same effect... She could have been carrying an undetected/domant illness, internal deformity or parasites...

Sadly you may never know. Sorry for your loss.

BabyMowgli
04-03-2008, 08:14 PM
thanks for the comments guys. I have steralized everyone's vivs and hopefully it was just something that will only affect her. Everyone else appears to be in great health and I will feed everyone tonight. Hopefully they all eats.

It must have been fate that she passed away though because when I went to the pet store to pick up mice, I found an adorable little columbian rainbow boa that has come to live with me. She is in quarantine until I know everyone is healthy all around. I will post pictures in the off topic section.. or where ever that is.

anyway, thanks for the kind words.

Morph Collector
04-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, clean clean clean! I only hope your quarantine practices were good before you knew there was a problem. Heaven forbid this is contageous. I hope the best for you, now get to work!

GlitterFlame89
04-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, I just lost my little baby Kaa to the my cats. Congrats on the Boa! And good luck with them!

BabyMowgli
04-04-2008, 12:33 AM
almost everyone ate tonight. that makes me feel a little better. The only who didn't eat is my other rescue/adoption snake Jasper who has yet to eat since I got him 4 weeks ago.

abell82
04-05-2008, 07:44 AM
One thing to look for in new snakes, is there stools. Is it deficating normally?
If not, it could be impacted. Many "New" snake owners keep snakes on Aquarium gravel.

BabyMowgli
04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I have seen his poop and it seems to be normal. I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks