PDA

View Full Version : Starting to wonder if she is actually he

Starting to wonder if she is actually he

Corny Noob
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I figured since this is behavioral, relating to breeding, and constituting a hunger strike that there's three different forums this could have gone on...
I chose this one.

So as the topic title reads I'm really starting to wonder if Nagini is a boy. In the coldest snap of winter she went off feed, I figured this was some what natural as the ambient temps were lower and near the end of winter she was in blue, so although she had never once refused food before in her life I tried not to be too worried as I knew the hunger strike wasn't really that odd.

But now it's starting to make me question her gender. The pastime as of late is almost non stop tank cruising morning noon or night it doesn't matter you will often see her cruising all over the damn place. Combine this with a renewed hunger strike (she ate once after shedding about 3-4 weeks ago) and lack of any egg palpation I'm leaning towards "he"

I know we've had discussions of females feeling the spring itch, but I didn't realize that they could be just as bad as males? Not to mention Nagini isn't even 2 untill september...

wade
04-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Lots of corns go off their feed in the winter even if you don't brumate. They sense winter by the length of the day.

If she isn't even two yet, why would you expect to palpate eggs?

Cruising can be the result of lots of things other than maleness. Get her probed. Anything else is a guess.

Corny Noob
04-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Well my point in palpating for eggs was just to secure myself in the knowledge that I shouldn't have to put in a lay box should she be cruising full of slugs to lay.

wade
04-03-2008, 08:32 PM
You haven't said, has she ever met any other boys?

Corny Noob
04-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh, sorry. No she's never been in contact with any other snake since I got her last may when she was 8 months old.

Corny Noob
04-05-2008, 11:18 AM
So I guess without finding someone to sex her no one else has any other thoughts?

Tula_Montage
04-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Lets see a cloaca/tail shot ;) But I think Nagini is far too pretty to be a smelly boy lol

Corny Noob
04-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Hope these are sufficent, I never knew it would be so hard to take pictures of her "butt".

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/nifer10/Nagini/DSCN4180.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/nifer10/Nagini/DSCN4182.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/nifer10/Nagini/DSCN4185.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/nifer10/Nagini/DSCN4186.jpg

Tula_Montage
04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Looks girly to moi ;)

Roy Munson
04-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Looks girly to moi ;)

I agree, Elle. :)

And you sure provided decent pics for us to evaluate, Jenn. :)

wade
04-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree with everyone. It looks like a girl to me. A girl with a fine looking tail.

patm1313
04-05-2008, 08:32 PM
At least you don't have to change the name!

Corny Noob
04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
I agree with everyone. It looks like a girl to me. A girl with a fine looking tail.

Wade, Nagini says she's only interested in other snakes but thanks for the compliment ;)

Thanks guys I feel better now I'm sure she'll snap out of this soon, she's not losing weight so I'm not too worried, but now I know for next season she might be ready for a late breeding.

Jcapicy
04-06-2008, 09:41 AM
best of luck with breeding, she looks like a very healthy girl. Hope she produces a nice clutch for you!

lykinst
04-07-2008, 02:15 AM
hey guys not to try to take over the thread but i saw where someone posted some pics on here and you guys tried to give an educated guess on the sex i also have a corn im trying to get sexed ive been told it was a male but im not sure regardless of the responses im still taking him to the reptile expo next month to get him probed the reason im having some doubts is i recently brought in a 2 year old female (i did have her probed) and he doesnt seem the slightest bit interested no cage prowling or anything i know hes 6 so he should be ready to mate just wondering if anyone could help

sorry the pics are not very clear taking pics of a five ft long snakes belly isnt easy i can try to get better ones if you need me to plus he/she is a candy cane so theres alot of white on him/her

patm1313
04-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Those pics would be good..... If they were not blurry. IMO, and from what I see, It looks a bit like a male, If where I'm guessing the vent is in the second picture is right. You might as well get him/her probed.

lykinst
04-07-2008, 12:24 PM
well thanx for trying i know the pics arent that clear my girl took them (shes not that enclined with electronics lol) i am going to get him probed the 4th of may ive spoken with the guy at the expo and he's going to teach me how to do it too thats pretty cool but thanks for trying for me :bowdown: