PDA

View Full Version : Now I know where all the water goes! -video-

Now I know where all the water goes! -video-

alan
04-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Caught my "dainty" girl today tunneling under her bowl.
I saw a flash in the viv from light on the water. I was like"what's that?". It was "the re-arranger", crusher of fake plants, shelving tipper, and now dumper of water; Cheerio.
Here she is in action (http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/Alfixit/animals/?action=view&current=04-06-08_1144.flv)

PAIN
04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
My maximus loves to flip her one hide over lol

Nanci
04-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I think that girl needs a bigger (heavier!) water bowl!

patm1313
04-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Yah, my corn does that sometimes. I think he picked up the habbit when I didn't provide him with a hid during the first few days in my care. He's been doing it ever since, but he has stopped doing it as much lately. I'm always so woried when I find him under there that if I place the water bowl back on top of him I will trap him, so I make him move.

alan
04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I think that girl needs a bigger (heavier!) water bowl!
Yeah, ya think? I like this bowl, I'm just going to try putting it deeper in the substrate.

I'm always so woried when I find him under there that if I place the water bowl back on top of him I will trap him, so I make him move.

I'd need something pretty heavy to trap this one. I'm also glad I made sliding covers for the viv.

Jrgh17
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe she's saying she'd like the humidity to be higher? :p

alan
04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Well she definitely raised the water content of the substrate.
Nah, she's fine, 51% right now in her viv. She just had a whole shed last week.

Jrgh17
04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Well she definitely raised the water content of the substrate.
Nah, she's fine, 51% right now in her viv. She just had a whole shed last week.

(I was joking, by the way).

It's a pretty common joke around my place that the snakes have studied interior design and are making adjustments.

alan
04-06-2008, 05:25 PM
(I was joking, by the way).

Yeah, I caught that.
This snake just plows through the things in her viv. I "fluff" the fake plant, an hour later its partially flattened.
I drape the vine around the shelf, next morning it's on the substrate.
I like when the half-log hide is pushed so it's tipped up at an odd angle.

Lenny and Carl
04-20-2008, 04:15 AM
(at least) one of my two snakes does the same. I think it's Carl. But their water bowl is really heavy so he can't tip it over. I just always find these tracks under the bowl. :eek1: He's under there now. just poking his head out. Ahh how sweet.

patm1313
04-20-2008, 10:39 AM
What water bowls do you guys use? I use the Exo-Terra ones and they seem almost impossible to flip. Their heavy and the base is wide.

To Lenny & Carl: My corn also uses the space under the water dish as his 3rd hide, but I'm so worried that he'll get himself trapped under there someday...

Lenny and Carl
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I use exo-terra too. They're very good quality. I'm not worried about that - if a snake cacn get themselves under there surely they can get out? If you are worried why not just push it deeper into the substrate?

patm1313
04-20-2008, 01:43 PM
I use exo-terra too. They're very good quality. I'm not worried about that - if a snake cacn get themselves under there surely they can get out? If you are worried why not just push it deeper into the substrate?

I tried. My snake really has some will. I can set it right on top of the glass and he'll still manage to get under it.

I know that he can get out if he gets under, but my major concern is lifting the water bowl up, finding him under there, and putting it back, which may lead to him not being able to get out.

Lenny and Carl
04-20-2008, 02:42 PM
wow he can still get under it? He's determined. Carl will give up if he can't get under in a few seconds. If i found either of my snakes under there (yes i'm cohabing) i would just move them then put it back

just a question to do with viv care etc. how often and thoroughly does anybody clean out their snake/s viv?

patm1313
04-20-2008, 03:35 PM
wow he can still get under it? He's determined. Carl will give up if he can't get under in a few seconds. If i found either of my snakes under there (yes i'm cohabing) i would just move them then put it back

just a question to do with viv care etc. how often and thoroughly does anybody clean out their snake/s viv?

Hmmm..... Mine really will keep trying at anything, he never gives up! I also move him and then replace the water dish.

I clean out surface poos as often as I can, and do an entire clean out (disinfect/replace substrate) every month or so.

Lenny and Carl
04-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Ohh cool thats about the same as i do.

jbaygirl0
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Wow. Alan, she is big! How long is she and how much does she weigh?:)

kcaven
05-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I wish my boy would just come out of his hide! Turn stuff over, wreck the joint, anything, something besides hiding in his hide all day:-poke:! LOL

alan
05-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow. Alan, she is big! How long is she and how much does she weigh?:)

When I used a picture and Serpwidgets snake measurer I got 5'. When we measured with a string she was 4'10" and I think that was accurate.
I recently weighed her at .94 Kgrams, with my scale that means she is somewhere between 935-945 grams.