PDA

View Full Version : Death of a hatchling

Death of a hatchling

jclif1995
04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
My son and I purchased a corn hatchling about 30 days ago. He was a friendly active snake and would eat 1-2 pinkies a week. We had him on a frozen foods diet. (you can't beat the convenience). Sunday week back he did not eat. He remained as usual and I observed him drink. Wednesday and this Sunday he did not eat.

Yesterday he took a turn and died last night. Things to report are as follows:

1. he was off color - I thought a shed was coming on
2. he dehydrated within hours
3. he went could not get around very much hours before his death
4. he went into a snake gyration just before his death, wrapping himself around himself and opening his mouth.
5. he died

Any thoughts on why would certainly be appreciated. I did speak with the pet store where I purchased "Ally". They have not had any problems with any other stock. They were quite nice and sympathetic about the matter and I'm pleased with their consideration.

batwrangler
04-09-2008, 08:13 AM
My son and I purchased a corn hatchling about 30 days ago. He was a friendly active snake and would eat 1-2 pinkies a week. We had him on a frozen foods diet. (you can't beat the convenience). Sunday week back he did not eat. He remained as usual and I observed him drink. Wednesday and this Sunday he did not eat.

Yesterday he took a turn and died last night. Things to report are as follows:

1. he was off color - I thought a shed was coming on
2. he dehydrated within hours
3. he went could not get around very much hours before his death
4. he went into a snake gyration just before his death, wrapping himself around himself and opening his mouth.
5. he died

Any thoughts on why would certainly be appreciated. I did speak with the pet store where I purchased "Ally". They have not had any problems with any other stock. They were quite nice and sympathetic about the matter and I'm pleased with their consideration.

What were the temperatures in Ally's cage (what kind of cage were you using)? The humidity?

What kind of substrate were you using?

What heat source were you using?

How big was Ally?

You were, of course, defrosting and warming the pinks before feeding, right?

Did Ally have plenty of fresh water?

Was Ally defecating normally?

jclif1995
04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
What were the temperatures in Ally's cage (what kind of cage were you using)? The humidity?

What kind of substrate were you using?

What heat source were you using?

How big was Ally?

You were, of course, defrosting and warming the pinks before feeding, right?

Did Ally have plenty of fresh water?

Was Ally defecating normally?

1. heat was under the tank 24/7 with a red overhead during the day. the tank ranged from about 74ish to about 86ish. the cage was a critter cage 10gal
2. humidity was maintained with a humidifier tank hooked to a aquarium pump. this ranged around 70 up or down 5.
3. the substrate was store bought aspen preparation
4. pinkies defrosted yes. warmed - yes
5. defecate - once, all over me :laugh01:, and another time
6. fresh water every evening in a bowl that was accessible to Ally
7. Ally measured the same 13" from 1st measure to last.

I really appreciate you responding and taking interest.

Regards,

batwrangler
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM
1. heat was under the tank 24/7 with a red overhead during the day. the tank ranged from about 74ish to about 86ish. the cage was a critter cage 10gal
2. humidity was maintained with a humidifier tank hooked to a aquarium pump. this ranged around 70 up or down 5.
3. the substrate was store bought aspen preparation
4. pinkies defrosted yes. warmed - yes
5. defecate - once, all over me :laugh01:, and another time
6. fresh water every evening in a bowl that was accessible to Ally
7. Ally measured the same 13" from 1st measure to last.

I really appreciate you responding and taking interest.

Regards,

Sometimes hatchlings just fail to thrive, but it doesn't sound like Ally was defecating enough for number of times he ate.

A healthy snake should eliminate about 48-hours after each feeding. Possibly Ally was impacted.

If you were feeding Ally in the cage, he might have ingested some substrate and gotten blocked.

If you decide to get another corn snake, I highly recommend following Kathy Love's advice (http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20CARE%20SHEET%20Cornutopia%20corn%20snakes%20cor nsnakes.htm) and keeping track of your snake's weight using a gram scale.

You might also want to consider following the "Munson Plan (http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106)" for determining when and how much to feed.

I'm sorry for your loss and hope this doesn't turn you off keeping corns!

TWGarland
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
You've gotten some good advice, sorry to hear about your loss, just a small point, which im sure had nothing to do with your snake passing, but about 50% is a good humidity level for a corn snake, which is then raised during shedding.

dbouklias
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Sorry for your loss. You say a 10g tank with heat ranging 74 to 86? Did you provide a cool side? Were you feeding in the tank? Did your snake throw up any meals?

I know I tried once a 10g tank but could not get a cool side. So I switched to a bigger tank.

xchris
04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
im wondering about the temperature as well... what kind of thermometer were you using? did you have a thermostat hooked up to your UTH because the smallest one gets up to 103 degrees, i just tested this yesterday. and also what watt is your overhead light? my guess is it may have been to hot... an UTH that MAY have been as high as 103 degrees and an overhead light....

i could be wrong, im not trying to blame this on your care taking but it seems like a possibility especially in a 10 gallon tank.

o and im very sorry for your loss, its horrible to lose a pet especially not knowing why.

jclif1995
04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
all good points and appreciated. no ill will taken. the heat lamp was on during the day but tuned down with a reostat. the pad was always on but on one side. Ally kept to the cool side. i did not have a gage on the cool side so i can't report on that but reading the posts, heat may have contributed to her demise. she ate in a feeder tank with newspaper or paper towels.

i certainly appreciate the educational links. i do appreciate all the helpful input. thank you.

xchris
04-09-2008, 10:31 PM
well i would definetly recommend a rheostat or something for that UTH if you get another snake, i hope you do but i do think it would be a good idea to check over the enclosure and what not just to make sure it doesn't happen again, but if you do get another snake you have to promise to post pics of it :)

jclif1995
04-10-2008, 12:13 AM
it's a deal

Susan
04-11-2008, 08:06 PM
And sometimes hatchlings that seem to be doing well will suddenly die for no reason that can be determined. Sometimes they stop eating and sometimes not. You have my condolences at your loss. Double check your viv and the temps, but you may find that it was just "one of those things" and not related to anything you did or didn't do.