PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Questions

Feeding Questions

hrsnyder11
04-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Ok so I have two questions. First, my female snake double clutched on us this spring and she is really very thin:awcrap:. I want to get her back up to her previous weight as quickly and safely as possible. She only eats live if that matters. Second, the first clutch has already hatched and 6 of them will not eat:uhoh:. I've tried every thing from braining prekilled to scenting them with adult mice to live pinkies. The only thing I haven't tried is using anoles. The problem is that I don't know where to find anoles this time of year:shrugs:. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Susan
04-13-2008, 08:54 AM
To get your female back into condition as rapidly as possible, most breeders will choose one of 2 methods...either feeding smaller meals more frequently (every 4-5 days) or a large meal every 7-10 days. I prefer a large meal every week.

For the problem hatchlings, have you also tried scenting F/T pinkies with chicken broth or tuna juice yet? And most any lizard will do for scenting as well. Also, have you tried the small paper bag trick with the different pinky offerings? Using washed F/T pinkies (I like plain old Ivory bar soap) is another excellent trick. How often are you offering them pinkies? And once you've gone through all the different options, go through them again as some hatchlings that refused something once may take it the second time.

Leisson
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
what are your babies? type and how old? your mom as said above personally i prefer the smaller frequent meals to bulk but thats me.

hrsnyder11
04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
The babies are normal motely corns and are about a month old.

hrsnyder11
04-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks for your help!

shenishen
04-19-2008, 06:40 AM
i've had my corn hatchlings for about 2 weeks and they didnt want to eat. so tonight i washed the pinkies with a mild soup after defrosting brained them (ew) and dried the pinkies with a paper towel. then placed them in a container with alittle bit of of there subtrate from there enclosers on the other side of the container for scent. then placed the container in the hide with a towel over to black out all light and left the room for a while. i also added a heat lamp for extra heat. one so far has eaten!!! im so happy, and im still waiting on the other one...hopefully he eats! wish me luck on my little diamond head and hope that helps!