PDA

View Full Version : 9 weeks since last feed

9 weeks since last feed

SteffieKent
04-13-2008, 05:07 PM
took my amel to get sexed as was acting weird and thought it may be a boy but its a girl! about 4 years old. still driking water daily etc but has no interest in food. is happier to sit on it than eat it. have tried a million and one ways to get her to feed - no luck. no signs of being in blue although a few dry scales on underside so sprayed with shedding aid just incase.

I got lucy in feb and she hasnt eaten since i had her. she ate with previous owner beofre coming i think as i found waste in cage but from what i have since found out , i dont think it was fresh waste so it could have been longer than 9 weeks.

shes looking skinny but is happy enough to come out and is incredibly active. have tried smaller mice too! - still nothing.

how long can they hunger strike?

when i took her to get sexed he said there was def some thick fluid in her so she may well be ovulating - could she just have re absorbed any ova and is feeding from them? her skin has never looked so shiny - she squeaks as she crawls over herself!

help please!
thanks!

Nanci
04-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Maybe try rat pups? Sometimes a snake that is striking for whatever reaosn likes hairless prey.

bitsy
04-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Sometimes they don't like change and a hunger strike can be a sign of stress.

Do you know if her current setup is similar to the way she was being kept before?

SteffieKent
04-13-2008, 05:19 PM
to add :

- i have added a humid hide with damp moss which she loves - is always in it with head poking out resting on tail - incase she lays any eggs (shes not had a male to have sexy time with so unfertile eggs for sure if any are on the way)

- i have felt daily along her entire length and no signs of any masses of anything inside her

- when not in hide - incredibly active

-i have tried feeding somewhere different to her vivarium. still no luck

- temps are fine (have spoken to people before and checked them on here with people)

- am still adding water aid but have been given an extra aid to add by local reptile shop to boost slime coat production? (don't quote me on that - am not at home at moment so cannot check bottle)

- she used to eat large/extra large mice with previous owner once or twice a week. ive not had her eat anything :(
i have tried smaller ones. have tried many ways of defrosting, have cut tip of nose off of mouse which works with other snakes but not mine.

-today i thought i heard a tiny weaze once or twice in the hour or so i had her out for.

-i am thinking next step is off to the vet for a check up?

SteffieKent
04-13-2008, 05:20 PM
its the same set up and same viv she was in before. she came with viv and water bowl. all thats changed is the address her viv is at and her owner. i did introduce a rock hide which i put damp moss in that wasnt there before but she loves that but thats the only thing she has had changed :)

Nanci
04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
When you've tried feeding her in a separate container, is it small? (can't ignore prey) Do you cover her up and just leave her alone, maybe for hours, with no peeking?

SteffieKent
04-13-2008, 05:31 PM
yeh its a small one - cant ignore it so she sits on it. have not covered it up completly. have however turned off all lights and left room for a few hours!! when feeding in own cage have done same

bitsy
04-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Try leaving her in a feeding tub overnight - that sometimes works. You could put her feeding tub inside her living tank, to keep her at the right temp.

Some Corns just don't like change. When I last moved house, my old fella ate twice in 7 months. He was in exactly the same viv/setup as before.

- am still adding water aid but have been given an extra aid to add by local reptile shop to boost slime coat production? (don't quote me on that - am not at home at moment so cannot check bottle)

What supplement were you given? I don't recognise "slime coat production" - there shouldn't be anything about a Corn that's slimy. Try a nutritional supplement in the water if that's not what you have (sorry, I don't know Water Aid). Critical Care Formula seems to be a good all-rounder. The local reptile shops sell it as well as vet surgeries.