PDA

View Full Version : Hard to handle

Hard to handle

sam3108
04-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey guys

I have had my candy cane corn snake for a few years now. We got her just after she hatched and used to regularly handle her. We haven't handled her around a year now, I know we should have but it was just not ideal because she was becoming aggressive because she got hungry, then we could handle her because she had just eaten etc etc.

Now, whenever we go to handle her she strikes, she is also so big now that it is becoming a problem getting her out of her viv. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Second question-

I am not sure whether her viv is big enough. I forget the exact measurements but she is now so big that she spans the full length + just under a foot when laying down. Do we need to get her a bigger one?

I would like to get her a large one where we can have a live plant for her to climb and several good hiding places (at the moment she has a couple of pieces of driftwood, which she loves!).

Thanks so much
Sam

NFS07
04-27-2008, 05:40 PM
If all you did was take her out to feed her and put her in then she has attached hand coming into the tank as food or meaning she will get food. The best way to change this is to handle her more often. If you are worry about getting bitten you can use gloves until you feel better about it.

If your asking if it's to small then it most likely is. You are the best judge of that.

wade
04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Now that she is getting older, my wife is much harder to handle. I try to handle her at ever opportunity but she still gets snappy sometimes.

I think it sounds like your viv is border line too small. You should start working toward a larger on.

Handle your snake at times other than feeding time. The strike is most likely a defense posture. It will go away as she becomes more accustom to being handled.

snakewispera snr
04-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Some very good info has been given in the last two posts...
My question is...Does your viv open from the front or the top, as this can make a difference..
Maybe it's the way you enter the viv. As you know it may bite perhaps you are not moving smoothly enough, and putting the snake on edge as you approach it. Try a hook to get it out and then handle it.
Also it's worth thinking of this from the snakes point of view...If it comes in from above it's a predator, if it comes from below it's food...That is only a rule of thumb but always worth remembering when you handle the animal.

patm1313
04-28-2008, 08:15 AM
If you don't already do this, then you might want to try. Like somebody else said, the snake may be connecting your hand or scent entering the tank with feeding time. This may convince her to strike when you put your hand in, because it stimulates the feeding "thoughts". I would try to keep handling her, and put her in a seperate tub or tank when feeding. This means she will only have those feeding thoughts when she is placed in that tank.

As far as the tank size, If the snake is fully extended lengthwise, and there still is a foot of room, then I would say that that is rather large, but don't take my word for it. Can you provide some pictures?

bitsy
04-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Now, whenever we go to handle her she strikes, she is also so big now that it is becoming a problem getting her out of her viv.

I have one persistent biter that I've just not been able to break of the habit, despite years of trying (I got her as a rescue when adult). I get round the problem on feeding days, by enticing her part way out of the viv, waggling the mouse in tongs. Once she strikes and holds on, I can then disentangle her rear end and pop her in the feeding tank while I get on with spot cleaning & water changes.

png_lovebirds
04-28-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm sure someone already mentioned this....but try feeding her in a different box so that she does not confuse your hand as food! I feed all my snakes in a cardboard box....AND I always leave the mouse in there with them. I don't shake it(the mouse) around so that they will strike. I don't ever want them to strike at something b/c it is small and white....my kids hands are small, white and warm!!! So, I just leave the warm mouse in the box with them and come back to check on them in an hour....rarely is the mouse still there! I do this with my Ball Pythons and my Corns and it works well!

If you are scared of getting bitten...I know I am....wear some gardening gloves when you go to pick the snake up! :)

GL!

sam3108
04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you for all of your advice :) I think I will try wearing some gloves first :P if she is still biting me after a weeks then i will try the different feeding method.

Thanks so much!
Sam

NFS07
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Are you moving her to another tank right now or do you feed her in the same tank as she lives in?

tricksterpup
04-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Thank you for all of your advice :) I think I will try wearing some gloves first :P if she is still biting me after a weeks then i will try the different feeding method.

Thanks so much!
Sam

One, a little corn snake isn't going to hurt you. :D
LOL if I can handle this, a corn snake is nothing.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/iguanajim/DSC00125.jpg

Start to hold your snake regularly, use a latex glove if you like but i doubt the snake is going to strike or cause much damage to you. But you need to force it to be held for about 5-10 minutes a day. When its not digesting food, hold your snake for a little bit. I have a 6 foot gopher snake that would hiss and holler if I held her. she hated it but I would reach into her cage and just touch her. I got her used to being touched. She equaled touch to not being fed or being harmed. About a year later I can hold her. she still doesn't like my SO but its a work in progress.