PDA

View Full Version : sick snake

sick snake

buddithegreat1
04-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I am a new member. I tried to post earlier but it didn't post. I may be doing this wrong.

I have an approximately 2 year old male cornsnake who is suddenly distended in the last 1/3 of his body, to his vent, then he is normal size. He is underweight and I have force fed him for 6 months. This swelling appeared today and looks like he may be septic but he has no scratches, his belly and skin is normal color, and has been in his cage and is not unsupervised when out of his cage. He has been drinking lots of water for two weeks, is deficating normally although he has yellow urates. There are a few changes that have gone on recenetly that may be the cause but I am hoping it is not kidney failure:
1. He completed a 10 day cross country trip last week in a small cage, from Seattle to Panama City FL.
2. He was chilled 1x, last week.
3. He is in a new (used cage) that I cleaned and disinfected well (with bleach-that I washed and rinsed out very well yesterday)
4. He was force fed 3 pinkies yesterday

Please give me some advise. I am not sure how to follow the responses but will try to navigate the systen to find out what you recommend.
Jan

coloradoflower31
04-29-2008, 01:09 AM
That is so sad. I hope he is alright. I only have one & am not an expert so I can't tell you. Hopefully when I respond, someone who knows what is going on will see it & let you know what they think. I hope he is going to be ok.

Maize411
04-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Have you taken him to the vet? from the sound of his condition it sounds like he may need medications...

buddithegreat1
04-29-2008, 01:17 AM
I am going to take him in the AM. This just appeared today and I became aware when I soaked him this evening.

buddithegreat1
04-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Does anyone have the name of a good herp vet in the panama city beach area?