PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Chunky?

Need Advice - Chunky?

Weebonilass
04-30-2008, 01:43 AM
As I was looking at pictures that I took last night (feeding at the Lass' Lair), I'm thinking that my '06 Ultramel, Gailleann, may need to be bumped back down. She was a slow gainer, weighing only 106grams the end of Jan. Well, last night she weighed in at 168grams! Her last three meals have been weaned mice. After a recent posting from Dean, I've not been slitting my weaned mice, so the last two weren't. Because of my hectic schedule, they have only been getting fed every 6 -7 days instead of 5. Obviously not hurting her!

I'm wondering if I should take her back to hoppers or if it will all come out in the wash... or should I start her on an exercise program? Or maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a mole hill... here are a couple of pictures.. Remember, these first ones are BEFORE she ate!

Obviously, she loves her food :)

Both her and Daire made liars of me last night by coiling, although Daire only struck his second one... the other one he made me drop.

So any recommendations from the group??

Cat_Eyed_Lady
04-30-2008, 01:48 AM
I was going to say she looked fine to me til I seen the second pic.... is she kinda posed funny in that one or is she Just starting to get a little hippy??

Weebonilass
04-30-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm not sure what a hippy female looks like.. here is another one of her, although I'm not sure that it gives you any clearer a look at that area.

I don't remember her feeling that large when I was planning with her.. maybe it's the 10lbs that the camera adds? :D

Maize411
04-30-2008, 03:37 AM
She looks healthy to me..You could always look at the munson plan for guidance if your unsure..but I think she looks good

Weebonilass
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
She looks healthy to me..You could always look at the munson plan for guidance if your unsure..but I think she looks good

Thanks Maize, but per the Munson plan at the rate she's gaining, she should be ready to move up to adult mice with her next feeding. That won't make her lose weight if she's too heavy already. She'll have through the hopper stage in three feedings..sigh..

Roy Munson
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
She does look a little over-large. I'd give her a weaned every 8-9 days until she hits about 200g. Then move her up to an adult every 10-11 days. And NO slitting! ;)

Weebonilass
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
She does look a little over-large. I'd give her a weaned every 8-9 days until she hits about 200g. Then move her up to an adult every 10-11 days. And NO slitting! ;)

Thanks Dean :) I'm going to need to get a calendar just for the snakes. It was much more simple when they could all be fed on the same schedule.

She's gaining too fast and little Gunn is STILL 8g, although growing lengthwise.

bekers71
04-30-2008, 10:08 AM
That pic of her with the mouse is just too cute! It's like she's loving on it. LOL

She looks healthy to me. But I agree with Dean and would do like he suggested.

:)

Weebonilass
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
That pic of her with the mouse is just too cute! It's like she's loving on it. LOL

She looks healthy to me. But I agree with Dean and would do like he suggested.

:)

LOL Becky, that's one of the reasons I included it :D It was a fairly large weaner and, in fact, Michael refused it, but accepted a smaller one, so obviously he's a smart boy :)

When I went to put the lid back on after the pictures, she was definitley going to challenge me if I thought I was going to take it from her :)