PDA

View Full Version : throwing up for the 4th time

throwing up for the 4th time

misumi
05-01-2008, 08:43 AM
corn snake has regergatated for the fouth time in 2 months. I have left it a week between each time and im starting to get worried.

1st time:small rat
2nd time:small rat
3rd time:small rat
4th time:large mouse

tank has been cleaned every time after she has thrown up
i have just bought a new light a 75 watt moonlight bulb

the pet store recomended a grape seed oil to help: but i wonderded has any one tried this oil

pleaze help

misumi

ssmith_1187
05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
How old and large (in grams) is your corn???

Regards,
Steve

TWGarland
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
What are the temperatures on both sides of your vivarium? Is the heat bulb the only source of heat? If its an adult corn there must be some reason for the sudden regurges :shrugs:

Every time your snake regurges it looses vital stomach bacteria (gut flora) etc. and it really can take it out of your snake.

You should leave your snake alone now for about ten days, don't try and feed again before, and when you do try again, feed a much smaller item, try for a fuzzy or something similar. Basically something MUCH smaller than what you'd usually feed.

All the best

Tom

ssmith_1187
05-01-2008, 08:59 AM
As a follow-up to Tom's excellent advice, you might want to look into getting a container of NutriBac. It will help replace the stomach bacteria Tom talked about.

It's available from Kathy Love's website:

NutriBac (http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Nutribac%20information.htm)

Regards,
Steve

bekers71
05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
the pet store recomended a grape seed oil to help: but i wonderded has any one tried this oil

pleaze help

misumi

It's not grape seed oil. What they should have said was grapefruit seed extract. Kathy Love has used this and says in her book " ..has been a known suppressor of bacteria and fungi in agriculture for decades." According to her she uses a few drops in the water of smaller snakes that have regurged. I don't know how big your snake is or if this would even help.

You need to tell us more information on your snake. How old and big is it? Do you use a UTH? How long are you waiting between regurges before trying to feed again?

misumi
05-01-2008, 09:20 AM
she is 2 and a half years old and 4 foot she ways about a pound and i wait about a week between each feeding

misumi

kathylove
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
By the time you are on your 4th regurge, it is VERY SERIOUS! Never feed an item the same size again as what caused the previous regurge - it is likely to just cause another one. And the more times it happens, the more likely it will continue until death. Be sure to put cuts into any rodent that is already dead - makes digestion easier and faster for the snake.

Please read my regurge FAQ in the link below (and there are some other good feeding FAQs here too). Hope it helps!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20965

Good luck!

ssmith_1187
05-01-2008, 09:55 AM
As the others have suggested, wait 10 full days prior to feeding her again.

For example:

Let's say you notice (if it happens at night you don't really know for sure, so I'd error on the side of caution) she regurged today: May 1st

May 2nd - Day 1
May 3rd - Day 2
May 4th - Day 3
May 5th - Day 4
May 6th - Day 5
May 7th - Day 6
May 8th - Day 7
May 9th - Day 8
May 10th - Day 9
May 11th - Day 10

Try feeding again on May 12th and have others have said, with a prey item 1/2 the size of what she's used to eating.

Have your viv temperatures changed recently? If you have a UTH how are you monitoring the temperature? To the best of your knowledge, is your UTH still working?

We need a little more information.

Regards,
Steve

JustineNYC
05-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Kathy is right...never follow a regurge with a same size prey. Try something much smaller, with the nutribac, ten days after the last regurge.

Nanci
05-01-2008, 12:49 PM
(Sorry, I meant to post this a long time ago before anyone else did- but I had to go work.)

Ok, so her stomach never has a chance to rest and recover. Now you need to stop feeding her for ten days. You also need to get Nutribac from Kathy Love and put that on her rats. For the first feeding when you resume feeding, that meal needs to be half as small, or even smaller, than what she is used to taking. Something like a hopper. I would cut many slits in its back to give her the easiest possible digestion.