PDA

View Full Version : Continuously Shedding

Continuously Shedding

Wonderapple
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM
About a month and a half ago, I found my older corn who my roommate had let out of the viv. She had been gone for almost a month and was in pretty bad shape when she was found.

She had been in the radiator, I assume, and had a pretty vicious burn near the tip of her tail, and a few more minor, but still noteworthy ones along her sides and spine. On top of that she was very, very thin, she was obviously extremely dehydrated and was just in horrible shape. She was also in the middle of a terrrrrible shed.

She probably drank her weight in water, and I waited a few days before bathing her to get off the shed, and she fed her a few small meals over the next week or so.

About a week after she went into the blue and had a good shed. I fed her again, and then about a week later she was back in the blue. Her shed went really badly and her skin came off in individual flakes for a few days before it all ripped off in pieces (it all came off though). I fed her a day after everything is off, and now, less than a week later she`s in the blue again.

I suspect that the reason she's shedding so much is because she's bouncing back from losing so much weight and is fattening up again...

but could it be something else? Should I be worried?

norsmis
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Snakes will do this when there are problems like the burns. This facilitates the healing process.

bitsy
05-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Snakes will do this when there are problems like the burns. This facilitates the healing process.

That's what I was planning to say - beat me to it!

The additional food will also promote growth as well as healing, so it's a double-whammy on the shedding front. You can expect a few more before she sorts herself out. Good on you for taking her on.

KJUN
05-02-2008, 08:29 AM
The shedding is related to healing, BUT bad sheds will also force them into a follow up shed. Eventually, this cycle can be BAD for the snake. Make sure the snake has a GOOD humidity box. Expect more frequent sheds while healing, but help her shed properly - especially around the damaged area - by providing a humity box.

Good luck!
KJ