PDA

View Full Version : newly purchased snake not eating

newly purchased snake not eating

tradernick
05-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I bought an adult caramel from one of the breeders on the boards here. The snake arrived on 3/13 and ate a f/t mouse on the following day, 3/14...and hasn't eaten since then. At first I wasn't very concerned, what with it being springtime and all. Plus he was put into a viv with a female just before being shipped to me, so I figured he had other things on his mind. But now it's been over a month and he's starting to look boney. I have always used a feeding box but even with the mouse left overnight he hasn't shown any interest. In fact he cowers from it when introduced, then avoids it after that.
I've tried feeding at night, dusk, and morning (he's usually pretty active in the viv day and night). Now at the advice of the seller I have a mouse on a plate in his viv that's been there for 12 hours and he's avoiding it completely.

Just fyi I've not handled him at all, other than moving him to/fro the feeding box. At first I didn't handle him because I wanted him to settle in to his new digs, now I don't handle him because I want him to eat so I just leave him alone.
I'd appreciate any advice on how to proceed. I don't want to lose this beauty!

Nick

TripleMoonsExotic
05-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Have you gotten a fecal & acid fast test done on him?

Nanci
05-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. I bought an adult male from a respected breeder and he had his first post-brumation meal with me, followed by five more. Bacon then went on springtime strike on March 29th, and hasn't eaten since. Zee went on hunger strike January 13th and ate one mouse in February and one in March, none since. I _know_ he's healthy and de-wormed. Big Jake went on hunger strike March 22 and has eaten one meal since then, but is back on strike. Maizey is apparently not going to strike this year, though he did the two previous years. I guess rat pups are just too delicious!

MegF.
05-04-2008, 04:13 PM
I've had males go off food for 3 months at a time. Just keep offering a food item once a week or every 2 weeks and I'm certain at some point he'll grab it.

tradernick
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I took this snake today to Reptile World in St Cloud, FL...it's very close to me and I bought a snake there last year so I sort of know the gentleman. My kids and I go there routinely. He looked at the snake and said not to worry, that I should wait another 3 weeks or so and just let him continue to adjust to the new enviroment. I suspected as much but feel better now that a full time "herper" has looked at him.
Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted :)
Nick

Nanci
05-04-2008, 05:07 PM
So Nick- are you going to join us on our field trip to Reptile World May 11th? Several Florida cs.com members will be going- there is a thread in General ChitChat- and we'd love to meet you!!!

tradernick
05-04-2008, 05:15 PM
wow thanks for letting me know, I hadn't seen that thread. I'll check my schedule but I'm pretty sure I'm in town that day (I travel a lot)
Thanks Nanci!

corn snake boy23
08-03-2008, 07:07 AM
he might just be stressed out just wait 4 days without handling then try.

Nanci
08-03-2008, 08:54 AM
So, three months later, how's the snake doing???