PDA

View Full Version : Open wound!

Open wound!

ruthie
05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi my 16 year old corn has got a large open wound on the base of her tail, the scales are black and the open wound is quite large. She is fed dead mice and is feeding well, she cannot be burnt as the lights are all safely out of reach. I did not notice this last week when she was fed but she does have a tendancy to hang out at the back of the cage (I have to crawl in to reach the back) and so I have not handled her for about a week. My other three are all ok and show no signs of the same problem.
I have separated her into a super clean cage and will make a vets appointment but was wondering if anyone had any ideas how this could have happened. I have had snakes for 18 years and never had this problem before all been healthy and happy!

Nanci
05-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Probably some sort of abcess- who knows from what. She needs to get to the vet ASAP and he can culture the wound and start appropriate antibiotics. I have a snake that I have been struggling with an abcess in that area since September- good luck.

ruthie
05-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks, took her to vets he has removed all dead skin and stitched up hole now just waiting to see if she can still go to the toilet! She came through op ok so now its just wait and see.

Nanci
05-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Watch it closely to see if it swells and needs to drain.

ruthie
05-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Will do she shed last night, all the black dead scales came off and left pink raw skin, seems ok and keeping it clean. Had to help around the stitches and one has slightly opened but holding, all seems clean still. The vet wanted her to eat before I took her back tomorrow but she is not interested, lively but not in the mood to eat!!!

shugmeistercat
05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm by no means an expert, but it seems strange to me that the vet would want her fed prior to his seeing her as the stress of moving the snake that soon could cause a regurge. Did the vet say what the reason was for wanting the snake fed just before you take her back? (sorry I'm just really curious as to the vet's reason).

Good luck for the trip back to the vets tomorrow and hope he's pleased with the improvements following her shed.