PDA

View Full Version : Long time in blue?

Long time in blue?

AuralayKristine
05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
What's a normal length of time for a snake to be in blue before shedding?

I noticed Kaven was in blue about a week and a half ago; I made a moist hide for him with sphagnum moss, and he has a water dish on the warm side to assist with humidity, but he doesn't seem to spend any time over there. He just curls up in his cool hide and stays put.

The day before yesterday, I noticed his eyes were clear again, but there was not yet any skin in his tank that I could find, so I figured he was just clearing up right before shedding. But it's two days later, and still nothing. Should I be worried, or is this pretty normal?

This is only his third shed since I got him in January, and I'm keeping him at my parents' for now so I can't monitor him as frequently as I'd like. I'm also getting a little anxious to feed him, because it has been over two weeks (I moved him four days after his last feeding, and was giving him time to settle in before feeding him again; however, when I went to feed him I noticed he was in blue, and have been waiting until he shed).

Any tips or suggestions to help him along? Or should I assume he knows what he's doing and let him be?

Thanks!

Snake Dave
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
It can range hugely, anywhere between 3 days and up to two weeks. How old is the snake?

Sounds like your snake is in the clear stage (as you said), right before the shed. If it's been two days already, it should be pretty soon. Just keep the humidity up and nature will take its course. :)

Oh remember, it doesn't do any harm feeding when in shed.

All the best

David

AuralayKristine
05-07-2008, 05:11 PM
It can range hugely, anywhere between 3 days and up to two weeks. How old is the snake?

Sounds like your snake is in the clear stage (as you said), right before the shed. If it's been two days already, it should be pretty soon. Just keep the humidity up and nature will take its course. :)

Oh remember, it doesn't do any harm feeding when in shed.

All the best

David

He's an '07 hatchling; given his size (he's about 15 grams now) I'm guessing he's about six or seven months, but I'm not positive. Less than a year, though, so a little guy.