PDA

View Full Version : Getting new camera <help>

Getting new camera <help>

JustineNYC
05-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I decided to spend some money on a new camera, my friend has a Canon Rebel XT and her photos are so clear its amazing, so I think I may go with that.....

My question is what kind of lens do I need to take good pics of my snakes, close ups...Im kind of lost when it comes to lenses......

One of the kits I was looking at is 499$

It includes....

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
High Resolution Wide Angle Converter Lens
58mm UV Multi-Coated Glass Filter

Do I need to purchase another lens? And which one?

jiyoung2k
05-08-2008, 09:42 PM
canon is good but i'd prefer you more nikon if you are going to take close up pictures(macro)

Tula_Montage
05-08-2008, 10:08 PM
The 18-55mm kit lens will get you close enough to take lovely portrait shots etc.

However if you want to get in REALLY close you will need a macro lens. I use the sigma 105mm and I absolutly love it.

I use the Nikon D40 with nikkor 18-55mm and you can see from my pictures that it does the job.

Start reading up on exposure, white balance, aperture and shutter speed to get to grips with essesntial photography techniques. Presets on SLR's are fine, but if you want the best pictures possible you are going to have to set up your camera manually.

dpreston66
05-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't know if this set up is still available or not but my son has one and it's an excellent camera: http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66840&highlight=olympus

Good luck! :spinner:

jiyoung2k
05-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
High Resolution Wide Angle Converter Lens
58mm UV Multi-Coated Glass Filter

Do I need to purchase another lens? And which one?

18-55mm f 3.5 - 5.6
wont do very good when it's dark

canon is a good camera but i'l prefer you nikon
canon the base lens isn't that much good quality as the base nikon lens

i'd prefer you a nikon body with a 60mm f2.8 macro and 18-55vr (for just normal zoom lens)

canons have a light color (good for portrait)
nikon have a contrasty color (good for animals etc..)
and nikons are way ahead of the macro world
then other brands......

lens......if you go canon and want some really good quality you'll have to move on to the L lens which is really expensive
but nikons have a good base lens that is good enough for a starter but not that good as the L lens for canon but better then canon's base lens 18-55

canons have a really bad base lens .....used canon once but you'll eventualy
move on to the L lens... -$$

JustineNYC
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Does anyone recommend a Nikon model? What is their answer to the rebel xt?

This was taken with a rebel, very clear and bright

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2395682757_ae241c89b1_m.jpg

The Nothing
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
hmmm
anyone out there willing to back up these "superior" nikon claims?

Both companies are constantly one-upping each other. One is better, then the other, then the first, then the second... it'll always be that way.

Canon does have a vastly larger optical selection as they've been using the same EF mount since the 80's.

What I would suggest is looking around a bit more. The XT (300d) is now an old camera, and was replaced by the XTi, which has recently been replaced by the XSi. I'd imagine you'd be able to find a similar if not better deal with a new-in-box XTi. The wide angle adapter is garbage, and the filter is fairly useless.

The 18-55 produces some decent images, but there, as i mentioned, is a HUGE array of glass out there to choose from. I'd pick up a body and a lens and get used to those before shopping around for another lens. Check out lensrental.com and rent a lens for a couple weeks, and make sure you like it before going out and actually purchasing the lens.

Tula_Montage
05-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Does anyone recommend a Nikon model? What is their answer to the rebel xt?

This was taken with a rebel, very clear and bright

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2395682757_ae241c89b1_m.jpg

The nikon D40 (my camera) is a good equivilent. It's cheaper aswell methinks and far more user friendly as your first SLR. I love it...

JustineNYC
05-09-2008, 08:07 PM
hmmm
anyone out there willing to back up these "superior" nikon claims?

Both companies are constantly one-upping each other. One is better, then the other, then the first, then the second... it'll always be that way.

Canon does have a vastly larger optical selection as they've been using the same EF mount since the 80's.

What I would suggest is looking around a bit more. The XT (300d) is now an old camera, and was replaced by the XTi, which has recently been replaced by the XSi. I'd imagine you'd be able to find a similar if not better deal with a new-in-box XTi. The wide angle adapter is garbage, and the filter is fairly useless.

The wide angle adapter and filter of the XTi?

Tula_Montage
05-09-2008, 08:26 PM
The wide angle adapter and filter of the XTi?

Adaptors and filters tend to be a wasted effort in making a lens into something it's not. I hate macro adapters... you need to buy a dedicated macro lens to do maco photography.

The Nothing
05-10-2008, 12:52 AM
yeah, the wide angle filter and the other filter mentioned aren't worth anything. They are just more glass between you and the object. More glass = more distortion.

Stregone
05-10-2008, 01:11 AM
The XT is a good camera. Its nothing fancy but it is a solid camera that will definitely take great pictures. More money will just buy you a couple extra features, more MP, more fps, more ISO, etc. Knowing your stuff will do more towards taking great pics than an expensive camera.

You should be able to find an XTI for rather cheap now that the XSI is out though. Its what I use.

Tula_Montage
05-10-2008, 02:25 AM
I don't think it actually matters what camera you chose, just as long as you understand it and use it properly you will achieve great shots.

JustineNYC
05-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Stephen29
05-12-2008, 02:14 AM
Let us know what type camera you decided on getting. :)

JustineNYC
05-12-2008, 11:52 PM
I will! Ill probably have a lot of crappy test shots LOL

Weebonilass
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I will! Ill probably have a lot of crappy test shots LOL

I think you may be pleasantly surprised if you go with the Rebel. :) I went with the XT because it's still a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the XTi.

These were taken on full auto (as I haven't had a chance to read the manual) at the St Louis zoo with the standard lens that came with the camera. Don't think they came out bad for a first time outing with a new camera :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Weebonilass/IMG_0838.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Weebonilass/IMG_0828.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Weebonilass/IMG_0833.jpg

shakyhand
05-28-2008, 04:40 AM
Thread is quickly becoming a Canon vs Nikon huh? I thought I was in some photography forum for a while. I have DSLR for the last 2 years. First I owned a Konica Minolta 7D and moving to canon 30D and now 40D....

Which is better to take good snake photo? Nikon or Canon? Honestly speaking, I want both Canon and Nikon:rofl: People argue, this is better than that, all the time... My advice is go with what feel right for you, Canon or Nikon. Invest in good glass (lens- you get what you pay for).... and if budget permits, get a macro flash.... It is very expensive but good investment.... Learning curve is a bit high but it worth it.... Learn digital photo editing... again learning curve a bit high... all digital photos from DSLR requires a bit of editing.... if you don't want to edit, get a point and shoot camera.... you'll be surprise with a bit of sharpening, level adjustment, contrast and saturation adjustment and your photo will look so good you can't tell it coming from Canon or Nikon or other brand for that matter....:-punch: