PDA

View Full Version : Both Snakes Not Eating!!

Both Snakes Not Eating!!

beaniebopps
05-09-2008, 05:44 AM
I've had my 3 year old male and 4 year old female for a long time and have never ever had feeding problems. After deciding I wanted to breed them it all went wrong!!

After they were both brumated they both ate steadily for about 6 weeks. As they are my only pair they lived together in the males vivarium for about 3 weeks after brumation, to ensure they hooked up. They ate whilst living together a few times. Then they both refused their meals. After I decided Electra was definetely gravid I seperated them again.

Electra has eaten once in the last 2 months (just after I seperated them again) Last night she laid 19 healthy white eggs which I am thrilled about. She is looking very skinny now though and I have not seen her drink. I offered her a small fuzzy head which she showed no interest in (perhaps too soon after laying?)

Jake has not eaten once in the last 2 months. After I seperated them he seemed to spend days searching the viv for Electra to see where she had gone. He has NEVER refused a meal before, and now he has refused the last ten or so. He is a healthy big 840g still, but I am really starting to worry. Would there be any reason for him not eating (spring hunger strike would be long over by now?)

Any advise?

Sanebedlam
05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Keep offering as per their normal feeding schedual. Maybe he just is still horny and tryin to keep his girlish figure waiting for his girlfriend to come back. As for her maybe it was just to soon after laying.

Weebonilass
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Would you tell my guy that the "spring hunger strike is long over" as he's still on it... sigh...

How often are you offering?? Ten times in 2 months seems like a lot. The general suggestion is that you only offer on the normal feed day. If they miss, they miss until the next feeding day rolls around.

WAS1
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
My Male Anerys spring hunger strike lasted for 4 months once.
No ill side effects though.
It`s best just to let them get on with it.
They`ll eat when their good and ready.

Nanci
05-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Would you tell my guy that the "spring hunger strike is long over" as he's still on it... sigh...

How often are you offering?? Ten times in 2 months seems like a lot. The general suggestion is that you only offer on the normal feed day. If they miss, they miss until the next feeding day rolls around.

Zee has eaten twice since January!! He's still going strong on his strike. I think last year he quit in June. You are very generous, Ginger. My guys get a chance and if they refuse, they miss the next scheduled meal, then they get offered again on the next.

Bacon is still on strike, Jake broke strike last Saturday, but he goes back and forth a few times before quitting for good.

beaniebopps
05-19-2008, 07:28 AM
I was offering every 6 days or so, which was more than their normal feeding days I guess.... just didnt want to see them go hungry!!

Well I haven't offered either of them food since I posted this... But last night Electra finally had her post lay shed, so bought her a big fuzzy to try first which is defrosting, and Jake seems to be going crazy searching the viv still (for food or for his girlfriend I'm not sure!) and has also shed a few days ago... will offer him a meal tonight too.

I'll update you if I'm sucessful! Thanks for the replies... I guess I shouldn't worry so much then?

Sanebedlam
05-19-2008, 09:00 AM
As for the cruising my boy Cronus has been out of his hides non-stop (except the day he is fed) Constantly cruising he even lays out in the open. I am pretty sure he smells Psyche as she is the only mature female although i have two other females near him and he is trying to get his mack on!

Joejr14
05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
First off.....how you doin'? ;)

Secondly, it's not at all unusual for a male corn to go completely off food for months at a time around breeding season. You have nothing to worry about with an 840gram male missing 2 months worth of meals.

As for the female, try offering her something smaller to start off with. Perhaps a big, fat plump fuzzy. Some will eat right after laying, others will take a day or two to decide they want to eat. Start em off slow and build them up to their regular sized meals.

beaniebopps
05-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Success!! My male reluctantly had a feed, and my female has found her post-lay appetite and has gobbled up firstly a plump fuzzy and a few days later a big juicy mouse! I am much happier now!

Jevard
05-24-2008, 03:15 AM
congradts everyone is basicly right and so were you about it being too early for your female that short after a lay she simply doesnt have what it takes to take a meal... however if you breed again i woldnt recoment waiting 10 days after the lay to feed her give it a try at about 4 or 5 days. if you wait too long she will continue feeding on fat reservs and she needs it for the upcoming brumation. and the same thing is gonna happen with the male just like a human in heat hanky panky comes b4 all else