PDA

View Full Version : Sunburnt Skin

Sunburnt Skin

patm1313
05-09-2008, 08:07 AM
I was thinking, as I handled Flame after he had just shed, why the heck is he jerking around so much? Well, thinking back to CS, I remember a thread or discussion about this. Someone had said that they think that a corn's skin right after a shed is like being sunburnt for humans. So, I figured, judging from the way he's jerking around, I can imagine him feeling sunburnt. I mean, If my whole body was sunburnt and I was crawling through somebody's hands I would be doing close to the same thing.

Thoughts?

bitsy
05-09-2008, 08:38 AM
The jerking is a sign of aggression or sexual attraction. If I were you, I'd prefer the former!

If his skin was super-sensitive, he probably just wanted you to put him down. Can't say I've ever noticed this with mine, but there's a first time for everything.

patm1313
05-09-2008, 08:43 PM
The jerking is a sign of aggression or sexual attraction. If I were you, I'd prefer the former.

Aggression>My snake being sexually aroused by me
:laugh01:

Anyhow, he's only a little over half a year old, so I doubt he's even ready for the birds and the bees. ;)

JustineNYC
05-09-2008, 10:15 PM
The jerking is a sign of aggression or sexual attraction. If I were you, I'd prefer the former!

If his skin was super-sensitive, he probably just wanted you to put him down. Can't say I've ever noticed this with mine, but there's a first time for everything.

LMFAO
:):crazy02:

Stregone
05-10-2008, 01:01 AM
It does kinda seem like my snake is more sensitive to being touched immediately after a shed. Though, it may just be because I leave her alone when she is shedding, and sometimes it can take a while.

bekers71
05-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Aggression>My snake being sexually aroused by me
:laugh01:

Anyhow, he's only a little over half a year old, so I doubt he's even ready for the birds and the bees. ;)

Even at such a young age they can display this type of behavior. I have several small, young males. Some times if I have held a female then go to them they will jerk in my hands. This doesn't mean they can or will breed. It's just instinct.

It sounds more to me that yours is being aggressive. He's letting you know he doesn't like what ever it is you are doing. Maybe after shedding he is just a little grumpy and wants to be left alone. I highly doubt that their "skin", "scales" technically, is sensitive after shedding. If it were that sensitive they wouldn't be able to lay in their warm hides or slitter on their bedding after shedding. Just some thing to think about. :)

RainbowMary
05-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with Bekers, they've already grown the new set of scales thus why they finally shed so in my opinion surely they'd be more COMFORTABLE after shedding, whenever I've handled my snake after shedding shes all lively and just wants to explore and always savages her food so she seems to love finally getting that skin off lol :)