PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours post feed, staying on cold side

24 hours post feed, staying on cold side

LBoz
05-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Should I be worried about this? This is only his second feeding with me, but the first time he curled up on the warm side for almost two days before coming out. This time he's staying on the cold side and I thought this reduces digestion?

Cold side: 69F
Warm: 78F

I'm a total newb and this is probably nothing, but curiosity is getting the best of me. Thanks for any thoughts.

Susielea
05-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Ideally the warm side should be between 80F and 85F, how are you measuring the temps?

Nanci
05-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I agree- your warm side should be a bit warmer, measured right on the glass in the center of the heat mat. Plenty of my snakes digest (and stay) on the cool side. As long as proper temps and suitable hides are placed in each location, trust the snake to pick the temp he needs.

LBoz
05-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Thank you both! I measured the inside glass with a digital thermometer. I turned up his heat pad a bit before getting your responses, and by the time I returned from a quick errand, he moved over to the warm side. Thank you both for the quick replies. Much appreciated!

Caryl
05-12-2008, 09:19 AM
One of mine usually chooses the cool side. I'm new too, and it kinda freaked me out at first. She appears to do fine, though. One thing you might consider is that some have a strong preference for a particular hide. If you're concerned, you could try swapping warm/cool hides. But, like the others correctly said, your warm side needs to be 80-85 or so. The snakes know what they need and will act accordingly, as long as we give them the necessary options. Continued good luck! (BTW, I definitely remember your comment about my escapee, LBoz. :-)