PDA

View Full Version : Tail Rattle

Tail Rattle

River Hill
05-09-2008, 07:51 PM
My corn is about 8 months old and the last two times I tried to pick it up, it rattled it's tail at me. To be honest, I am now nervous about picking him up. I have read that snakes will do this sometimes. Does anyone have any suggestions or reasons why? We have not changed anything.

Squeaker
05-09-2008, 08:07 PM
He's just letting you know that he doesn't want to be bothered or you scared him and he is showing you his braveness. Mine has done that a couple of times but when I put my hand in slowly so he could smell me, everything was fine. Dont be afraid of him and quit handling him. He is just using his "scare" tactic :laugh01:

Snake Dave
05-09-2008, 08:08 PM
It's just scared. It's rattling its tail to tell you to go away, however, you shouldn't do this. If it rattles its tail, continue. If you back off, it learns that rattling its tail = big scary thing going away, which doesn't help it to become accustomed to handling in the future.

Corn snake bites are by our standards, pathetic. At that age, I'd be surprised if it punctured the skin. It's just the strike that might spook you a little. Trust me, it won't hurt even if it does bite. This behaviour should subside with time, provided you handle it on a regular basis (leave 48 hours after feeding before handling again).

All the best

David

Nanci
05-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I've got lots of tail rattlers, and none of them bite. It's the head flattener that I have to watch out for!

LBoz
05-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Nanci, what's a head flattener? I think that would freak me out! Mine has rattled at me a few times, but he's only two weeks into his new surroundings, and thanks to reading this on the forum, I proceeded anyway. He's a true pussycat, even taking my newbiness into consideration. But I think if I saw him flatten his head, I'd be a bit spooked!

Checkerbelly
05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I had Clinton out tonight. When I reached in he didn't see me and his tail rattled. He's 4.5 feet long so it was a pretty loud rattle. I just reached in again and when he saw it was me touching him, he was fine. He still tried to get out of my clutches when I was pulling him from the cage, but I pulled him out and he was perfectly calm. Don't worry about it at all. :spinner:

ComoxCorn
05-10-2008, 01:01 AM
many different species of snakes use tail rattling as a predator deterrent. regular handling (except for the 48 hours after feeding) will get your snake used to you. nothing to worry about

doortech9
05-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Mine hasnt ever rattled his tail. I guess its good that he doesnt feel the need to, but i would like to see him do it.:)

Do you have pictures of your snake?

josh

Nanci
05-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Nanci, what's a head flattener?

It's Ruby! I love the heck out of this little snake, but even though she only weighs 14 grams, once I set her down in her bowl to get weighed, and she's standing there like a little cobra, I pause a second before taking the bites and picking her back up! I'm hoping she grows out of this phase some day...

Snake Dave
05-10-2008, 07:52 AM
She's adorable, Nanci! She looks like a slender and red Gaboon viper. :grin01:

suecornish
05-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Hayyah will rattle and rise up to strike when he hears his tank screen being removed but it's all a bluff. Sometimes he'll be sleeping between the paper towels and I'll just blow a little to make the towels move and he'll start rattling his tail. We'll do this a couple of times then he gets tired of the game and will move to the back of the tank where I can't disturb him through the screen lid. Both he and Yingarna will start rattling their tails when they know they are getting feed. It's like "Hurry up, Mom, we're hungry."

Just don't back down when they rattle. Then, they are training you not to handle them.

Motley Crew
05-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Hehe... she cute! :)

montanatburg
05-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi,
try putting an old sock or some other type of small clothing of yours, he will get used to the smell and exept you more.