PDA

View Full Version : personality developing?

personality developing?

doortech9
05-10-2008, 01:38 AM
So i've had my first snake for about 2 months now. Since ive gotten him, i thought a simple routine, and a basic personality would emerge. I was expecting a consistently mannered snake.

So far i have been totally surprised with how differently he acts day to day. Is two months enough time for him to get used to his new surroundings, or is he still getting acquainted to us?

He used to explore a lot at night, but lately he has been hiding. He doesnt peek out as much as he used to, but he seems to enjoy being handled more than ever. Do your snakes personalities change on a day to day basis, or is my guy still nervous? Thanks for any feedback.

Josh

Mysfitz
05-10-2008, 08:23 AM
after 2 months if his cage has been the same and not moved he should be settled in.

some snakes do seem to enjoy being out and getting handled.

most snakes tend to hide when going into shed,

suecornish
05-10-2008, 09:07 AM
after 2 months if his cage has been the same and not moved he should be settled in.

some snakes do seem to enjoy being out and getting handled.

most snakes tend to hide when going into shed,

Also if you change things outside of his tank and he notices may spook him a little. He's also young so it may take time for his personality to really develop. Also may depend on who is handling him - Hayyah will try to bite my husband and poops on him every time he's been held but he is fine with me. I believe they have likes and dislikes.

theMeanGreen
05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
My oldest snake I have had since January this year. He seems to come out more lately, and I see him with his head resting on his body looking out from his hides more, too. He used to never come out.

Caryl
05-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Two months with no changes in viv or household ought to be plenty of settling in time. If s/he hasn't shed since coming to live with you, that's a likely reason for a new desire to hide. Do the snakes colors look duller than usual, or are its eyes a bit cloudy?

doortech9
05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
He actually just finished a shed about a week ago, and has shed previously while in my care. He was treated badly in a pet shop, cohabbed with 5 other corns, left in dirty substrate for who knows how long, and underfed to boot. He has been growing like crazy since i gave him a real diet, and seems to be in good health. I have yet to find a vet who knows anything about snakes, but as soon as i do i will be booking him in for a checkup. Does it take longer for them to adjust if they have been mistreated in the past? I have changed his surroundings drastically from his days in the pet shop....maybe it will take longer for him to adjust?

susang
05-17-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure, but some snakes hide a lot. I have two ambers same age same breeder same everything. The male is out almost every night the female I never see, except on feeding day. I just aquired an 06' male snow, he had beeen kept in a five gallon tank for two years. I bring him home let him settle in to the smells of our house for five days, take him out check him over he is fine. So I put him in a 10 gal, he has turned into a maniac. Holding him is like hold a hose in the middle that is on full blast. He refused to go in feeding tub, so I had to put mice in a bowl in his tank. Today I changed his water and while he didn't strike he rattled and carried on. I don't think two months is long enough to know if your snake will be easy to handle or come out a lot.