• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First un-feeding

Glimmer

I tried feeding Shesha (purchased 5-9) on Wednesday night. I had bought a kritter keeper to use as a feeding tank and moved him into that. He didn't appear to like it that much, but the mouse was thawed & warmed up a bit and ready to go. Using tongs, I danged the mouse in front of him, wiggled it abit and Shesha acted scared and pulled back. I put the mouse in the tank w/ him, covered it with a towel and left him for 30 mins. Still didn't eat. So, I put Shesha back in his tank, put the mouse in a large rock water bowl my daughter had used for her bearded dragon (I have a small corner water bowl filled in the tank) and left them over night. In the morning, the mouse is still there. So I threw it away.

I'll try again tomorrow night. I figured Shesha's still adjusting to the new tank and I shouldn't worry about it, but exactly when should I worry if he continues to not eat. I've read they can go for a month without eating easily. He's been active earlier (around 6:30pm intead of 9pm), and instead of crawling around the perimeter of the tank trying to get to the top, he crawls over his log and will stretch out in front of the cool side hide (where he's been hanging out more often) with his head on his water rock. It's almost like he's just watching all the action in the living room, but if anyone walks up to the his tank, he will hide.

I haven't handled him apart from Wed, when I moved him to the feeder tank. He didn't seem to mind my picking him up but he really didn't like being in the smaller tank.

Ok, so you should have given him a week to settle in, with no handling, before the first feeding attempt. Then, if successful, not handle for two-three days for digestion, to prevent regurgitation. At this point, I would leave him completely alone. Not handle him for four days. Heat up your pink till it's as hot as your tap water can get it- snip four slits in its back, put it in the feeding bin, put your snake in, put in a dark room, covered, after sundown, and do not peek for one hour. Hopefully that will work. Covering the feeding bin makes them stop trying to escape.

I would let him be alone with dinner even longer than an hour, even over-night. I'm not sure how large Shesha is, but if he's eating anything large pinky size or smaller, a kritter keeper may be too large of a feeding bin at the moment. The more contact a small corn has with potential dinner, the more apt it is to eat it. You may want to try a small sandwich (or smaller) paper bag to put Shesha and dinner in, fold the top over a couple of times and use a paper clip to keep it closed, and then put the bag in the kritter keeper...at least until Shesha feels more comfortable eating for you.

The paper bag trick worked. Last night I used tongs to dangle the mouse in front of Shesha (who is about 13" long - no weight, I don't have a scale to use) and he didn't seem interested. I brained the pinkie, put it in the bag, and put Shesha in there with it, rolled down the top and left it in the viv overnight. This morning, no mouse and Shesha's back in his favorite hiding spot.

Thanks!

Back