PDA

View Full Version : do the same rules apply?

do the same rules apply?

brtrude
05-18-2008, 03:32 PM
hi guys just wanted to ask a quick question.
my new snake dorothy had a regurge on a mouse that i fed her last wednesday. She is 2 and a half to 3 years old and has just rescently laid eggs(before i got her) so she is a bit skinny and could do with a few meals.
It was a mistake on my part which will deffinately be learned from, i fed her to soon once getting her without letting her fully settle in. I know they need time to settle, but i thought with her being an older snake she would have been fine with it. Anyway im not worriedabout her as she is older and im sure shel bulkup no problem within a couple of months.
Anyway, i fed her wednesday and found the regurged mouse thursday. So, does the protocaul 10 days non feeding still apple to older snakes like it does to youngsters.
Shal i definately leave it til saturday (ten days) to feed her, or shal i try her in the next couple of days (a week)?
I am going to give her a smaller mouse.
what do ya think? 10 days for sure?

Roy Munson
05-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Yep, I'd go with the full ten days...

brtrude
05-18-2008, 03:55 PM
ok ye. sounds good. i will just feed her on saturday then when i feed dezmond.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/brtrude/2008_0513pictures0010.jpg

shes a lovely snake and her temprement is great. Considering how long she is though she is a bit thin. i dont have a full body pic to show you.
I will keep ye informed on how the next feeding goes.
I am preying that she wont have any trouble keeping it down. Anyway shes only gettin a small mouse, i dont want to take any chances.
after feeding her on sat with a small mouse, shal i wait another week after that to feed again?

Susielea
05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
As Dean says, wait the full 10 days. I always start my girls off with smaller meals after laying eggs and step back up to their previous sized meals over about a month. I've heard too many stories of people getting regurges from females just after laying, so I play it safe :)

brtrude
05-18-2008, 03:57 PM
ok, thank you for the reply.
it kind of puts me at ease a bit more knowing that regurge's after laying eggs isnt totally unheard of.

Susielea
05-18-2008, 04:14 PM
I think the instances I've heard of seem to be, when a female hasn't been eating for a while before laying and then being given too large a feed, in order to compensate for the missed meals. I still feel smaller is better to start with and weekly intervals between feeds should be good :)

montanatburg
05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi,
i havent had one breed yet, but i would go with the full ten days