PDA

View Full Version : Problem with scales

Problem with scales

kneedeep81
05-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi people, sorry if this question has already been answered but I can't find the search button and I'm a little concerned about my cornsnake. I want to ask the people in the reptile shop but they are shut on mondays and this is my top priority.

He recently shed his skin (last week and when I got him out an hour ago I noticed two problems with his scales. The big scale on the top of his head looks loose and dry with a greyish lump underneath about two millimeters in diameter. The other problem is about four/five centimeters from his head where it looks like the scales (in a one centimeter area) have withered and I can see the skin between quite easily. They don't seem to have been there for long and on his last shed the whole head and neck area were complete so I don't think this could be the cause. Please help as I am concerned. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but I want to catch whatever has caused it early. I would post a pic but i don't have a digital camera and my camera phone isn't very clear

Thanks
Pat

montanatburg
05-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi,
soak him in water, and try to rub the old skin off.

kneedeep81
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure if the one on top of his head is an old scale because the last shed was complete and there seems to be a slighty raised grey dot underneath. Also the scales on his neck seem to be damaged and i can't figure out why. I just wondered if you guys have had a similar problem.

Cheers
pat

TWGarland
05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Would you be able to post pictures>? that would help alot.

Just a suggestion, is this snake a male?

Lots of people around this type of year find small head injuries, usually because of increased exploration on behalf of a horny male corn snake seeking out a mate. Also, you don't heat using a heat bulb do you that is in the tank?

Without more information and or pictures its hard to help.

All the best

Tom

kneedeep81
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Thank you both for your help. I managed to borrow a camera so I've got pictures.

In reply to your post Tom, I'm not sure if its a he or a she as I can't tell the difference and I don't want to put him through the metal rod process.

There was originally a forty watt bulb in there (I adopted him from a mate three years ago) but I replaced it with a U shaped florescent light that was for a fish tank because it seemed way too hot (but there is a heat mat in there). There's a background picture from a pirelli calendar that my mate put in there and there is a rip near the light and recently he does seem to be trying to climb around the top of the viv so he may have got behind it to climb up.

If this is a burn do you think he/she needs treatment of will it clear up itself? I'll try and provide you with any information any of you guys request.

Very appreciative
Pat

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/kneedeep81/hank3-1.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/kneedeep81/hank4.jpg

kneedeep81
05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
oh, and:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/kneedeep81/hank1.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/kneedeep81/hank2.jpg

TWGarland
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Kneedeep

Those pics do help :)

Is that picture of the light how it is all the time? uncovered i mean?

Its still quite hard to see the damage on top of the head, but to me, those scales on the back of the neck look like mild burns.

They don't look too bad though, if the pics were taken a while after the injuries occured then i think you'll be ok without vetinary treatment. IMO you should keep monitoring the area closely. It should sort itself out after its next shed. You might find it sheds sooner than it would normally to repair the damage.

If you don't already have one i'd look at getting a guard or some kind of mesh to cover that bulb, although if you've got a heat matt your good without the bulb anyways.

All the best

Tom

kneedeep81
05-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Yep, I've had the light like that for about two years. Never had a problem before but he does keep on surprising me so I've turned it off until I can get something sorted.

I need the light because my room is pretty dark at the best of times. Perhaps one of those plastic ferrero roche boxes turned upside down or something. Didn't seem too hot to me but then I'm not a snake lol.

Thanks very much for your help, I'll keep a close eye on him :)