PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Snake stuck to glue trap!

HELP!! Snake stuck to glue trap!

Drewby07
05-19-2008, 12:04 PM
So I got an emailed picture this morning of a snake stuck in a glue trap. It's on it's way to my house now and my roommate is awaiting instructions of what to do (I'm at work). I was thinking of using mineral / cooking oil to unstick it. Apparently it has ripped some skin near his head....i'll deal with that after he's unstuck. I'm sure he's also dehydrated....so I'll work on that too.

Tips? Advice?

I'm not sure what type of snake....a corn or maybe a juvi black rat? It's from central VA....

bekers71
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh that poor thing! I would try to use warm water to dissolve the glue first. Just make sure it doesn't get too warm. Use running water to let it flow over the snake and glue. I would also put a small piece of cardboard between the neck and the trap to help insure that part doesn't get stuck too. Also, I would try to cut away the big part of the trap too. That way there is less chance of it getting restuck to another spot. If the warm water doesn't work then try the oil, but I don't think that will work. You may wind up having to take it to a vet.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out. :)

This is one of the reasons why I hate glue traps!

Drewby07
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
UPDATE:

The little guy is resting...the oil trick did indeed work....seems they have gotten all of the sticky stuff off...not it's just a question of what sorts of injuries he has.

bekers71
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks goodness. Maybe he/she isn't too wounded and will heal quickly. Thanks for the update. Good job! :)

Drewby07
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
They say he isn't looking too good. :(

He's had the oil drench to get the adhesive off...and then got a warm water soak.....hopefully that warmed him up and gave him some water....I'm going crazy not being able to see the little guy!! I'm hoping it's just the stress of the past few days has him tired....we'll see.

bekers71
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
He probably is just super tired. Did you tell them to put him in a container with just paper towels on the bottom, no bedding?

Some of those traps have poison in the glue. Hope it's wasn't that kind.

Drewby07
05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah he is in a container with some paper towels. Apparently the person who found him tried to free him with a knife....and did a number on him. I feel horrible :(

bekers71
05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Poor little thing. After you get a look at it, if it's too bad, it might be best to put it out of it misery. I hate to say that.

Drewby07
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah I know...I get off at 4...so I'll check on him then. if it comes down to it, I'll crush his skull with a hammer. I've read up and this seems to be the most humane (though gruesome) method.

bekers71
05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Uh_well that's not quit how I would do it. Or at least I wouldn't announce it if I were. I am not sure where you read that. But the most humane way is co2 gas or a vet. Good luck.

Drewby07
05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I read it here actually.....it instantly crushes the brain, so no pain can be felt. There have been numerous discussions about the topic...including how CO2 is NOT humane or effective in reptiles because of their variable respiration rates.....

Drewby07
05-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I just had to convince a friend of mine NOT to put the poor thing in the freezer. I'll evaluate when I get home....:(

Drewby07
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
The little one didn't make it. Apparently the person who found him attempted to free him using a knife....and cut him pretty deeply. I'm pretty sure he had a collapsed lung. I put him out of his misery....what a shame...he was pretty.

Lynnea
05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. It's a shame that he was too far damaged to make it. At least you know you gave him your best effort. He really was pretty, too.

Drewby07
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
What REALLY kills me is that I THINK it was a corn snake. If so, this is the FIRST Virginia locality corn I've ever seen...and it's dead. :(

desertanimal
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
That's rough. Sorry it ended that way. :( Poor thing.

Emily1188
05-20-2008, 11:34 PM
I've been following this thread. I'm so sorry to hear the little guy couldn't be saved. :(
He sure was beautiful.

ForkedTung
05-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Yeah I know...I get off at 4...so I'll check on him then. if it comes down to it, I'll crush his skull with a hammer. I've read up and this seems to be the most humane (though gruesome) method. I agree! I've had to euthanize quite a few animals ( no snakes hopefully ever) over the years by crushing the skull too for various reasons; cats, cars etc... . While it may be gruesome and make me uncomfortable, death ( absence of pain) is instantaneous as opposed to slow gassing or dragging the poor animal to the vet and thereby extending it's suffering. I look at it like this " What would I prefer ?" I do have to note that I have not done this to any larger animals though...Kudos to you Drewby07 for doing the right ( although unpleasant) thing!

buddithegreat1
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
There must have been a garter snake den near the road by my sister's home in Washington state. I had to put multiple snakes out of their misery with a hammer after their bodies were run over by cars while they were sunning on the road. Its sad but otherwise they lie on the road and suffer. Its harder when you know the animal. Its good that you can be compassionate enough to put your feelings aside.

My vet gave me liquid valium to give to my rescue iguanas if they needed to be brought in to be euthanized (fortunately I only needed to use it twice in 18 years). The euthanization of reptiles by injection takes up to an hour so unless they are well sedated prior to going in its a long and sad process for both the reptile and the owner.