PDA

View Full Version : Re:illegal

Re:illegal

Ace
05-18-2002, 06:43 AM
it did not realy help the national parks thingy but ive sent them 2 emails and they havent replied IF ANY ONE KNOWS IF CORNS ARE ILLEGAL IN AUS PLZ PLZ PLZ TELL ME

LizS
05-18-2002, 07:14 AM
Have you tried asking pet store owners? They would probably be able to find out for you as some may work with importers of herps, who in turn would definitely know the laws on this subject.

kellum
05-18-2002, 10:29 AM
It seems you would need some kind of permit to import a snake. It would probably be cost prohibitive. Start your research here (link) (http://reptile.senet.com.au/license.html)

Ace
05-18-2002, 11:22 PM
thanks any way but i allready tryed them if you know anyone that breed in aus or comes to aus somtimes plz tell me

Rachel
05-21-2002, 07:19 AM
I'm moving to Australia in a couple of years and wanted to know if I could take my corns. So far no-one in the wildlife and countryside act of Aus have been very helpful. They just sent me an email telling me what snakes you have in the wild (like I didnt already know thanks to Steve and Terri!! :D )
I have been told that it is illegal but by someone who wasnt too sure so dont take my word for it.
If you want to know, go to your local governing body for wildlife or alternately write to the import and customs office. They would be able to tell you if corns are on the 'no-no' list!
Hope that helps!

Ace
05-22-2002, 02:47 AM
Sorry u will be as peeved as i am when u here corns are illegal in Australia because they are American. Im realy annoyed with that but u might be able to bring one australia Because u allready have it.

LizS
05-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Let me see if I understood you. Did you say you now know for sure that corns are indeed illegal in Australia?

Ace
05-23-2002, 06:40 AM
yes im sure unlucky for me:(

LizS
05-23-2002, 09:16 AM
Ace, sorry to hear that! At least you can own other snakes. In Hawaii snakes aren't allowed at all and the penalties for being caught with one are very severe. I know I'm never moving to Hawaii.

Rachel
05-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Ok just found out for definate...corns are illegal in Australia. Fair enough, they arent a native species and if some accidentally escaped it could have serious effects on Australias native wildlife. You can keep other snakes though...I cant remember which ones but Im sure you could find out. It'll be ones that are native to Aus. Sorry!!!

StevesBro
05-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
escaped it could have serious effects on Australias native wildlife.

yeah, when a corn snake gets into another country, they become radioactive, grow 6 times the normal size and go killing all the wildlife they can sink their 8 inch fangs into...

Iris
05-28-2002, 06:45 PM
No, but seriously, I remember learning about like Gypsy moths or something like that, how they were brought over from Europe or something and they escaped from the place where they were being kept. Once in the wild they reproduced like mad and began to ruin the environment. Or something like that. (This was wayyy back in 3rd grade so my memory is a bit spotty) Also, a certain type of ivy (I think it's the kind we have tons in our yard..oops) kills trees, bushes, etc. It overruns just about every plant it runs into and wraps around and around and kills it. Not instantly, of course. Over time.
Now I know corns seem so cute and cool and wonderful, but I do understand why they made it illegal to bring organisms that are not native to Australia because what kind of effect they might have on the environment. Not like we haven't killed the environment enough already, but you know. I guess it makes us humans feel better.

StevesBro
05-28-2002, 07:05 PM
im serious too, people brought corns to aus, they got loose, and now look at them, they are 10 feet long and have changed so much, they even got a new name, the aligator

LizS
05-28-2002, 07:18 PM
Hee hee.

I can see how Australia would be jumpy about new species. Rabbits and camels, just to name two, have wreaked havoc with the environment and native fauna.

In Guam a brown snake that came possibly as a stow-away in ships invaded the island and destroyed the bird population. Hawaii doesn't allow snakes for fear that escapees will do the same thing that happened in Guam.

Katie
05-28-2002, 09:41 PM
I also looked into moving to aus. with a dog, cat and a snake. You need special permits for the dog and the cat (and you need special VISA just to move there! and it costs a ton to get all the permits) and they ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, DO NOT allow snakes into the country of any sort. It's a 6 month process to just bring a dog over, not to mention the 6 months it takes just to get a Work VISA there. They'll let just about anyone in for 3 months but you aren't allowed to work and you have to leave after 3 months. If you want to stay longer or bring animals with you it's a big long expensive process.

StevesBro
05-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Etienne Leopold Trouvelot came to the US in 1856 with gypsy moths, thinking they were silk worms cuz he wanted to start making silk or something.. it went terribly wrong; when he was bathing one of the rebelious moths it attacked him, leaving him parylized from the hair down and let the other moths go.... from there, they caused terror eating leaves and stuff

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
05-30-2002, 01:50 PM
Bill Bryson wrote IN A SUNBURNED COUNTRY and PBS sells a video called AUSTRALIA'S LITTLE ASSASSINS. The book goes for about $13. the video about $19. They both speak a lot about the snakes and other wildlife in Australia and why they have so many restrictions. I highly recommend both for any one who loves snakes, humor and is interested in Australia. Sam ~~~~~~:~