PDA

View Full Version : :crying: GUTTED! 2ND REGURGE FOR DOROTHY.

:crying: GUTTED! 2ND REGURGE FOR DOROTHY.

brtrude
05-26-2008, 06:01 PM
bad news guys.
i fed dorothy today on a small mouse as she had a regurge with me 11 days ago. she ate it fine this afternoon and i was thinking she would be fine.
But i went to chek on her tonight, and there it is. The mouse, back up. I am absolutely gutted and quite worried about her. Its not like shes a baby, shes like 3 years old. she laid eggs a few weeks ago (iv put that laods of times allready but i just liketo give all the details).
Iv just cheked the temps and on her hot side its 88, and on her kool side its room temparound 70. Her hot side ranges from 85 to 90 depending on what time of the day it is. It only usually gets up to 90 miday and when its really sunny and shel be on her cold side then anyway.
I am so gutted, i just want her to be well and eat.

Rich in KY
05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
So sorry to hear about Dorothy.

Two regurges is serious, but many snakes have recovered from them

My advice is to wait the 10 days and then offer her a pinky mouse. I would also recommend not handling at all unless absolutely necessary.

Joejr14
05-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Those temps are way too high.

Wait the 10-14 days and feed her a fuzzy.

Rich in KY
05-26-2008, 06:27 PM

Either way. The idea is to feed her a smaller than normal meal.

Tula_Montage
05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Those temps are way too high.

I don't think the temps are WAY too high, I keep my corns at 86-88 simply because I have a lower ambient temperature of 68-70 and almost all my snakes are heat huggers anyway. The snakes are not stupid, they will move off a heat source if they are too warm. Or at least mine shuffle up and down their boxes in regards to what temperature they want to sit at.

High temperatures can cause regurges though. I would turn them down to 85 for your corn. Perhaps she is just an individual who is not so tollerant of the higher temperatures.

brtrude
05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
ok i will get the temp down to a solid 85. But even if the temp is a little high wer only talking around 5-6 hours in which she regurged. Is that not a little strange. And the last time she regurged she was on the kool side all the time before hand and then she regurged again only withing around 10 hours.
Dezmond is on the same tyoe of heating methods using the same heat mat and everything and he has been 100 percent fine for the whole time i have had him.
thanks guys for your replies and concern.

dwyn127
05-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Are the mice from a new batch, possibly bad? Just a thought.....

Nanci
05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Brett, it's not hopeless. I can't tell you how many times adult Maizey regurged. I never found out why, although many things were ruled out. What brought it on was a too-large meal. What stopped it was switching to meals of rat pinks. Two regurges, for an adult, isn't a death sentence. My advice is just feed smaller, and work up to normal size gradually.

Do you have her on Nutribac?

stephen
05-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Your snake is sick Bring it to a qualified reptile vet,it probably has parasites!

Crowskin
05-26-2008, 10:24 PM
I had a non feeder for 2 years. I tried Everything.. what finally worked was fast thawing them in near boiling water.. believe it or not. It was suggested by my vet and sometimes it manages to start the snakes feeding instincts up. I don't know why.

The trick is to fast thaw by dumping the mouse in a mug of very hot water. Just dumping it in and waiting for it to unthaw and even if it cooks it a wee little bit as long as it stays relatively firm, then you try feeding it to your snakie.

I know some may not agree with it, but after 2 years, and forcefeeding my snake for a long time this was the only trick that got him to eat for me. And now he's a Great feeder. Heh, has tagged me a few times because he has all his instincts back.

Good luck!! Just dont' give up, and take some time like the others suggested. You don't want the poor snake to regurge too many times!

-Crow

Lynnea
05-26-2008, 10:26 PM
I've had a major regurge problem with one of my snakes, "Mystery" (four within about a one-month period). The advice given is what you should follow. I'd suggest trying the prey dusted with Nutribac, too. I don't know if you have a source there, but Kathy Love sells it. BTW, she's doing fine now (knock on wood)--her story is on my forum "Lynnea's Snakesphere". And Stephen is right, take her to a vet for exam and parasite/crypto testing.

jbaygirl0
05-27-2008, 02:04 AM
I have a young (4 Months) old amel and she had regurged twice. I only fed her very small pinkies after the regurg. Fed her last Tuesday, she did not regurg and fed her yesterday, so far so good. It seems my problem was I was taking them to the pet shop to feed and then driving home. I am a sissy about the feeding part - i like mice! But i got my head around it and brought the food home yesterday.

brtrude
05-27-2008, 06:44 AM
thanks for all the support and advice guys. shes really skinny and is very light compared her length when i hold her. i dont have any scales so idont know her weight for sure.
Themouse a fed her this time was a very small mouse, she shoulc reallybe on madium to large mice, no problem. I will try giving her a rat pup nexttime or something.
I dont have and nutribac, iv heard it mentioned before but i have never heard ofanyone selling it near me, but i know kathy love sells it.
What is crypto by the way?

brtrude
05-27-2008, 06:47 AM
wow sorry guys my typing skills are terrible. lol

Lynnea
05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Follow this link for crypto info: http://www.indigosnakes.com/Reptilian%20Crypto.htm

wade
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Let's not loose sight of the fact that she just laid eggs. I've had snakes regurge just before and just after laying eggs. That is very likely the entire problem. Give the snakes some time. I think your temps are a little too high. Come down to 85*. Wait 10 days and feed a small meal. I think you will be fine.

brtrude
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
ye the temps are down to 85 now. im not going to touch her at all for another 10-14 days and then try her again on a small meal.